• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma flabellicauda breathing heavily

Bramgroet

Perhaps choose a less delicate dwarf cichlid?
That probably wasn’t the problem here. The hobbyist I got them from says that the same species of fish from his tank so the brothers and sister and parents aren’t doing so well either. I will probably be getting new ones from him.

Also I think that a cardinal or pencilfish might be even more susceptible for diseases. I have the right waterparamaters feed them well pretty good waterchange schedule. I wouldn’t know what went wrong on my side.

Bramgroet

Yes it is a bummer really. Would you have a clue what I did wrong? Or is it just a case of bad luck. I am getting new ones but they are much smaller and these were really nice specimens.

MacZ

We all have lost fish all of a sudden and they both showed that typical dwarf cichlid syndrome. I doubt this is on you.

Hanzle

Dit is zeer jammer. Zie het al de laatste 10 jaren. Alleen bij dwergcichliden, vd apistoos vooral de mannetjes, zowel W alswel NZ, maar ook microgeophagus beide geslachten. In jou filmpje ziet het mannetje r ook slecht uit, mager...het knijpen met de staartvin is meestal ook een slecht teken. Vaak komt het door een voor de apistoos (te) hoge dosering co2 maar daar is in jou geval geen sprake van. Bij mij was dat wel het geval, in een gezelschapsbak, n dat ondervang ik door iedere week 30% water te verversen. Heb gelezen dat kiew worm veel voorkomt onder dwergcichliden n heb dat zelf een x gehad. Alleen weer de apistoos...ik d8 ff omdat die op d bodem grazen maar de otocinclussen hadden het niet, vreemd. Vreemd is ook dat vooral de slanke vormen apistoos r last v hebben....agassizi, biteaniata etc nd hogere vormen, viejita, borreli, hongsloi niet. De ellende begint met snel ademen.

apisto_fan4evr

Have you tried adding an air stone like what MacZ had suggested? This similar scenario happened to me a month ago (fish started dying and even a few tetras jumped out of the tank) and adding an air stone quickly fixed the problem.

MacZ

You are aware that the fish in question here is already gone?

And no, an airstone only works if it's due to lack of oxygen. In cases of that "apisto syndrome", there's nothing one can do. I suggested it, as it was a slim chance of this being the problem, so trying it was part of checking all the possibilities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(