• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some help setting up

Wuwuwu54

Hello and Merry Christmas!

So Im trying apistos for the first time, and need some advice. First off, let me say even though I've never had apistos, I am not a beginner. Ive set up a 10 gallon tank, and plan to have a ton of leaves, driftwood, caves, and pvc throughout. Ill post a picture as soon as I can. Id like to breed some apistos in this tank. I know 10 gallons is small, but I think because I have experience with dwarf cichlids, I can pull it off. They will be closely monitored and I have extra tanks I can set up as a last resort.

So, that said, I have two big questions:
1. What species do you reccomend for a 10 gallon? Im asssuming something small and peaceful, but IDK what apisto that is.

2. Dither fish? Would the apistos be happier/ take out some of their aggression if they had some fish to chase around? Im thinking something like killies, I have about 3 times the filtration I need so thats not an issue. I know that i would be liable to lose some fry, but id rather deal with that if it would minimize aggression.

Thanks in advance, Luke

big blue frog

Hi and MC back. I have 1 male and 3 female borelli in a planted 10 and a pair of cacataoides in a 5 1/2 also planted. No dithers and a few snails. This was supposed to be temporary until I set up 2- 20 long for a permanent setup.They both produced fry almost immediately and are all doing well. I guess you could say they are easy breeders. I like smaller pencil fish for dithers, but mostly because I like the little guys, not because they help breeding.
I really have very little experience breeding, so this is just anecdotal experience.These two seem to fit the bill. Good luck and have fun with it. BBF

Wuwuwu54

Hi and MC back. I have 1 male and 3 female borelli in a planted 10 and a pair of cacataoides in a 5 1/2 also planted. No dithers and a few snails. This was supposed to be temporary until I set up 2- 20 long for a permanent setup.They both produced fry almost immediately and are all doing well. I guess you could say they are easy breeders. I like smaller pencil fish for dithers, but mostly because I like the little guys, not because they help breeding.
I really have very little experience breeding, so this is just anecdotal experience.These two seem to fit the bill. Good luck and have fun with it. BBF
Thanks for the info! Could I see a picture of your smaller breeding tanks if you have one of them? Just looking for ideas on how to make it work. I'm especially interested in the trio in the 10 gallon.

Thanks, Luke

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a 10 is small, but for an experienced aquarist, it is possible to breed apistos in it. Just realize that you'll need a lot more room once the fry start growing. My favorite beginner's apistos for a small tank are A. borellii & A. sp. Wangenflecken. Both are small species and generally relatively non-aggressive. I wouldn't use more than a pair plus some small surface-dwelling pencilfish. Other species are possible, but are more problematic, behavior-wise.

Wuwuwu54

This is what I've got right now (ignore the floating leaves, I just put them in so they're still a little bouyant):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450760607.797079.jpg

Is this heavy enough cover? I've got 3 pvc pipe caves, a half of a clay pot, a piece of inert porous rock full of caves, and about 5 pieces of driftwood hidden under all those leaves.

Thanks, Luke

big blue frog

Your tank looks like my 10. I have a clump of java moss and RR floaters but otherwise similar decor. The 5 1/2 was a storage tank for extra plants and had 2 small swords and RR floaters, no substrate. The new setups will be ready soon . I agree with Mike about needing room for babies.IMHO a ten is way too small for a clan of even small Apistos.

Wuwuwu54

Your tank looks like my 10. I have a clump of java moss and RR floaters but otherwise similar decor. The 5 1/2 was a storage tank for extra plants and had 2 small swords and RR floaters, no substrate. The new setups will be ready soon . I agree with Mike about needing room for babies.IMHO a ten is way too small for a clan of even small Apistos.
I have several large tubs that I use for rearing fry that I will set up if the need arises.

Thanks, Luke

Wuwuwu54

Just an update for the record, I put some hydrocotyle in the foreground and some ivy into the HOB filter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450825726.208228.jpg

Wuwuwu54

Question- Do you think that a pair of A. Baenshci would live/reproduce in this tank? I I can always just stick to borelli, but if these guys would do well I find them quite striking. My ph is between 6.5-7.0, btw. With either the borelli or baenschi I would be purchasing pre-bonded pairs, so I'm hoping that will cut down on some aggression.

Thanks, Luke

P.S. After some reading, I have decided on a trio of Celestial Pearl Danios as dither fish.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a pair of A. baenschi will breed in a 10, but this species can have over 100 fry in a spawn. Such a small tank will be overwhelmed very quickly. I don't know who sells "pre-bonded pairs", but for A. borellii any male/female combination works. A. baenschi doesn't form permanent pairs like many monogamous species. They form a breeding bond. If successful they commonly remain together. If something isn't right, they break the bond and look for a better breeding partner. In a small tank this can lead to aggression or worse. It's not uncommon for even monogamous cichlid species to break their bond once moved to a new environment (tank), so I'd be skeptical of pre-bonded apisto pairs, since most aren't as strongly bonded.

Wuwuwu54

Yes, a pair of A. baenschi will breed in a 10, but this species can have over 100 fry in a spawn. Such a small tank will be overwhelmed very quickly. I don't know who sells "pre-bonded pairs", but for A. borellii any male/female combination works. A. baenschi doesn't form permanent pairs like many monogamous species. They form a breeding bond. If successful they commonly remain together. If something isn't right, they break the bond and look for a better breeding partner. In a small tank this can lead to aggression or worse. It's not uncommon for even monogamous cichlid species to break their bond once moved to a new environment (tank), so I'd be skeptical of pre-bonded apisto pairs, since most aren't as strongly bonded.

Thanks, I'll just stick to the borelli for now then. After New Years I'll go to pick them up, I'm so excited!

Thanks, Luke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….