• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with a biotope

Gillie

5 Year Member
My daughter won 3 geophagus redhead topajos in a childrens raffle at an auction yesterday and would like to make a biotope. What tetras, cories, dwarves and plecos are found in that area? Any help would be great and greatly appreciated by my daughter.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

5 Year Member
plecos and corys are easy

anything from this list.

as for dwarves, there are Bioticus, Discrossus and Apistogramma found there (Laetacara curviceps and Apistogramma agassizii. are 2 specific sp, the others are "sp. Tapajos")

there are loads of others that are in the same area as the geos, with at least another 2 geophagus sp, (G. altifrons, and G. sp Tapajos (copper coloured back)) as well as a few Satanoperca sp,

there are also Mesonauta, heros, cichla and many others I cant think off the top of my head.

tetra wise, not a lot of commonly available ones, these I found, but are never going to be in the shops
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
Hemigrammus silimoni link here

Hyphessobrycon notidanos
Hyphessobrycon melanostichos link here

Hyphessobrycon heliacus link here

Moenkhausia cosmops link here(search Tapajos)

Prochilodus britskii link here (assume its mentioned in the article, shows up in google, but not in the abstract)

Astyanax utiariti link here

the only common ones I know of are lemom tetras, and silver dollars (specifically Metynnis argenteus

one thing I would say, is try an up the group size, and make sure their in a decent sized tank 4foot MINIMUM,

Gillie

5 Year Member
They are in a 55 gallon right now which is a ton of space for them at this time( they are just under 2 inches) I am picking up 2 or 3 more this weekend. I will also be getting lemon tetras, corydoras ornatus and a couple L134s. Now I just need to find an apisto from the area.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Geophagus sp. Tapajos grows to about 8"/20cm size. I think that you will either have to get a (much) larger tank or remove them after a while.

They will eventually be moved to a bigger tank. Any suggestions for a nice dwarf ?

Gillie

5 Year Member
A. cf. agassizii (Tapajos) Flame-back/Fire-red would be very nice.

Those do sound nice. I'll have to look though the lists at my lfs, I know they are getting ready to do German, Cech and wild Brazilian order in the next month

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….