• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Cacautoide is not eating...

Mason

5 Year Member
I have 2 male Cacautoide's in my 55 gallon at home(got rid of unknown Apisto) which I bought at the same time from the same stock. One of them(the one that is eating) is about twice the size of the other. I have checked my water and Alkalinity, Ph, and Nitrites seem to be in check. There are no visible signs of illness except for 'rubbing' which both the Cacautoides share. Could it just be a lame fish? Why would one fish be able to thrive in my tank but another wither?
Any help is appreciated, thanx.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mason said:
I have 2 male Cacautoide's in my 55 gallon at home(got rid of unknown Apisto) which I bought at the same time from the same stock. One of them(the one that is eating) is about twice the size of the other. I have checked my water and Alkalinity, Ph, and Nitrites seem to be in check. There are no visible signs of illness except for 'rubbing' which both the Cacautoides share. Could it just be a lame fish? Why would one fish be able to thrive in my tank but another wither?
Any help is appreciated, thanx.

Hi Mason, a fish which does not want to eat is a symptom of something wrong. It could be an indication of sickness or an unpleasant environment.
If i were you, i would isolate the fish and observe more closely. Usually,
some standard treatment can help, e.g., i would use live bbs + metronidazole to feed the fish... usually, the fish would chew some and that would already help. You may try...

Mason

5 Year Member
hmmm

Isolation could be a problem as I only have the one tank. Would treating the entire tank be harmful?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mason said:
Isolation could be a problem as I only have the one tank. Would treating the entire tank be harmful?
Well, you could use a floating tank, or even a larger plastic bottle
with some holes to isolate an apisto. You may also use a glass/plastic
plate to divide the tank into partitions for the isolation purpose... ..

Mason

5 Year Member
Mason

Thank you very much for your help, I will try my best to save the little guy.

Roach

5 Year Member
I'm having problems with my male Caca at the moment. He just hides under things and won't come out to eat anything and it seems that his lips and mouth have become a bit swollen.
There are three females in the tank with him, amongst other fish and one in particular seems to follow him around and flashing him. I've seen these little buggers breed before and it was similar but this happens the length of the four foot tank and not around any particular spawing site.

Any ideas anyone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….