• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple male apistos in quarantine tank

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hi all

I am planning to add 3 male apistos (borellii, trifasciata, agassizii) to a planted tank all in one go so that there will not be any dominance issues to start with. To do that, I'd like to have them all in a quarantine tank at the same time (I only have one).

The quarantine tank is 61cm x 36cm (2' x 14").

I was going to use tank dividers so that each has about 20cm x 36cm. (Plan A)

Would appreciate any feedback if it would be ok for Plan B where all of them were in the tank without dividers.

Not sure if Plan A would cause stress due to being alone in small areas, or Plan B will result in a lot of fighting.

Cheers
Tim

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
I think Plan B is ok based on what Mike has suggested in the past on community tanks. Maybe start with Plan B and if you notice one male being overly aggressive than use the divider for that one?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places. In quarantine tanks (and grow-out tanks) I put short pieces of PVC pipe all over the bottom and a piece of floating black plastic pipe (PBS or old black film canisters) in case someone get harassed too much.

curviceps

5 Year Member
OK, thanks for the suggestions. Will start with Plan B and see how it goes; will get some hiding places and have the dividers ready.

Cheers
Tim

curviceps

5 Year Member
Plan B didn't work out I think because I deviated from my plan. Was not able to find a trifasciata so instead ended up with a borelli, an agassizii "double red" and an agassizii "fire red", all males. The "double red" harassed the "fire red" in the quarantine tank (so dividers were used) and this continued in the main tank. Got along fine with the borelli (and an existing bolivian ram).

So, I took the "double red" out and put him in jail (ie back to quarantine tank). Will introducing him later after the "fire red" has really settled work, or should I give up and sell him? The "fire red" is now out and about unlike before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….