• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving rams

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I have a 30 gallon tank with apistos and rams. MY rams bred a week ago and they were heavily gaurding them with the female fanning and the male and female switching off gauding but yet i think my apistos still got them in the night. Half the eggs were gone the next morning. I plan to breed my apistos but they are not mature yet. I was thinking about buying another 10 gallon tank to breed and house my rams. I was thinking about just throwing a piece of driftwood in there. with a couple low light plants.

I was wondering if after they breed should i

-leave both parents in?
-move both to my 30 gallon and hope they dont get beaten by my apistos if they are breedin?
-move the male out and leave the female?
-see if they will raise the fry?
-Move the fry immediatly into a fry net?

thanks for any input

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
After they breed in the 10 gallon

- leave the female in the tank until the male becomes too aggressive towards her
- leave the male in the breeding tank with the fry

You should only remove the male from the breeding tank when he doesn't become aggressive towards outside influences (like the tube when you are doing your waterchanges)

Both parents will only eat the eggs or the fry if either the eggs are infertile or if they fear it is not secure enough to raise the fry.

Rams will need a few tries to get it right. Some people (myself included) have gotten frustrated after multiple spawning attempts with the eggs not lasting through the night. You can either see it through, or when the frustration sets in, try to remove the eggs and raise the fry artificially.

Apistt_ed

Many of my experiences have taught me that, in time, leaving the parents in the tank with the eggs and the fry are what's best... even if they end up eating the clutch. without the parents fanning the eggs, fungus becomes a problem... so I say leave the parents in until they get it right. If you do decide to pull the eggs anyway, place an airstone close to the eggs as it will somewhat do the same thing as the parent fish fanning the eggs and you won't lose as many to fungus as without it. Good luck!

john

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(