• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

more fish (dithering)?

doczahi

5 Year Member
Hi
Is it important to have other fish (dithering) in a breeding tank?
Why is that and which ones?
Thanks
Zahi

Randall

5 Year Member
Dither Fish

Hello Zahi,

The presence of dither fish in a breeding tank is a tried and true technique to induce dwarf cichlids to spawn. Their presence seems to cause the breeding pair to feel more secure, offers them a means of diffusing aggression and gives them an "intruder" from which they can defend a breeding territory. Many dwarf cichlids encounter small dither fish in the wild, so including them in aquaria is generally recommended. Some of the more common ones include small tetras, pencil fish (Nannostomus spp.) and hatchet fish. Ted Judy here in the forum even uses platies (Xiphophorus spp.) with success.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

doczahi

5 Year Member
Thank you for your answer.
I guess I will add a dither fish tommorow.
As I can see the female is yellow and acting as ready for spawnnin, but the male is not interested. This couple spawned in my community aquarium two weeks ago.
I guess a pencil fish will do.
Thanks
Zahi

doczahi

5 Year Member
Anyone had expirience with a Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) as a dither fish? Can it do the job?
How many fish should I put in a 10G tank?
Zahi

Guppy (Poecilia reticulata):
Poecilia_reticulata.jpg

2la

5 Year Member
Because of their extravagant tails, guppies may have trouble swimming fast enough to avoid the attacks of apisto parents, and their water preferences are typically different from that of most apistos. Pencilfish are great dithers, but don't just get one or it will in all likelihood end up hiding as much as the apistos. Get a shoal of at least five individuals.

doczahi

5 Year Member
Thanks
I'll go and look for some pencils.
Wouldn't it be too much fish (pair of apistos and 5 pencils) for a 10G tank?
Should they be removed after spawning?
Zahi

skwelch

5 Year Member
guppy's, what a great idea!
i have never before bothered with dither fish in my apisto tanks as my previous fish never needed any encouragement to spawn.

but with my new aggies that i got a few months ago things were different, they spawned a couple of times but never got further than that, they seemed a lot more nervous than id seen before in apistos, probably something to do with them being positioned in the kitchen where i am alway walking passed the tank
so i thought i'd try some dither fish to try to get them to feel more secure.

about a month ago i bought a group of five lampeye killifish, but i think they were slightly too small and i think they might have ended up on the menu of my male aggie, they have slowly disappeared one by one, now i only have one left - the biggest one
do you think its possible for aggies to eat other small fish? im convinced they have!

so a couple of weeks ago i thought id try something else for a dither fish
so i got a trio of lyre tail guppy's because id read someone else on here uses them
i have never kept them before because of the overbreeding of them in the past has left them weak and not very nice looking
but these looked ok to me, and are apparantly from a local breeder so hopefully wont just mysteriously die after a few months like guppy's would do in the past
i obviously avoided the ones with red coloured tails as i am keeping them with aggies and they seem more than capable of avoiding the aggies

...and the arguement of guppy's only thriving in water conditions different to that of apisto's i think is wrong, i have read that guppy's are now found in water in the wild of varying parameters. i think originally they were naturally found in slightly alkaline water of moderate hardness, but they have also been used to control the numbers of water larvae (spelling?) insects in some countries and can be found in the wild in considerably different water conditions including mildly soft acidic water. so as long as they are acclimatised properly i think there should be no probs keeping them with apistos, hopefully hehe

the aggies already seem to swim in the open a lot more, fingers crossed and i might be a daddy soon :)

2la

5 Year Member
skwelch said:
...and the arguement of guppy's only thriving in water conditions different to that of apisto's i think is wrong, i have read that guppy's are now found in water in the wild of varying parameters.
That wasn't my argument at all--I wrote that their preferences are typically different from those of soft-water apistos. Wild guppies have been discovered in waters that range from hard and alkaline to soft and acidic, but the latter represent an extreme rarity in the hobby today. Most in circulation are tank or farm-bred specimens raised in harder conditions, many from Asia, where they may be raised in semi-brackish water.

skwelch

5 Year Member
ok i see your point

but dont you think as long as they are acclimatised slowly they should live and thrive in soft water

mine seem ok, altho i know guppys are notorious for looking ok then dying

we will see i suppose 8)

2la

5 Year Member
"Thrive" is not a word I'm comfortable using, mainly because it's such a nebulous term and is defined differently by people. Some people think their fish are thriving if they've stayed alive for three months in their tanks, while others want them to live for years and must witness breeding behavior in their fish (which is not all that much of an accomplishment when it comes to guppies! ;)). Certainly I think they can do well. Short-tailed guppies aren't the first fish I think of as being ideal dither fish, but in some respects that's in the eye of the keeper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….