• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing dwarfs with Rams

rsa1

5 Year Member
I have a decent size tank (48x20 footprint) that I'd like to keep a couple of species of drwarf cichlids in. I have never kept German Rams and would like to give them a try. It is my understanding that the Rams require warmer water temps. I recently acquired some checkerboard cichlids. Will they be compatible tankmates? How about Apistogramma maciliensis? I currently have the A. maculiensis with the checkerboards and they seem to get along pretty well.
Thanks

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
the rams (Bolivian or Blue) would get along fine with the checkerboards. Most of the time the chase each other not the other fish. I have kept checkerboards between 78 and 83 degrees with no probelm. Mind you, I just keep them. Nothing fancy like spawning them.

Randall

5 Year Member
Dwarf Cichlid Compatibility

Dear rsa1,

What is your name, please?

Given the size of your tank (I'm guesstimating 75-gallons.), the three species you cite should be compitable. 80 degrees F. is a little warm for the Apistogramma maciliensis, but shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

rsa1

5 Year Member
Randall,
My name is Richard. The tank size is 87 gal. I bought it used, evidently it's made some old manufacturer who's no longer around. I'd sure like to find another one (tank only) as this one is badly scratched, but it has a very nice stand and hood that I'm reluctant to discard. Yes, I know the footprint is only two inches deeper than a 75/90 gal, but I like plants and that extra depth is nice. Someday I may break down and have a custom tank built so that I can get this setup up to display quality.

I think you're right about the temp being a little warm for the A. maciliensis, but from my observation of them, they seemed to be a fairly non aggresive fish and easy to pair with other gentle fish. Of course I should say that I'm very much a beginner in the apisto world (and aquariums in general), and my observations could be off base, so flame me gently please!

I also keep A. panduro and those (especially the females) seem to be little terrors, so I'm fairly sure that they are not appropriate fish to mix. I imagine a lot of people have the same problem I do. I want SO many types of fish (damn that Romer book!), but can not devote my entire house to tanks due to space and maintance time. I'm just looking for ways to squeeze in a few more species. I guess what I'll really need to do is change species occasionally. Keep a species until I can't stand the temptation any longer, then trade them in for something new. Any way, thanks for your input.

Now, about those beautiful killis I keep seeing pictures of .......
Richard Alwine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danceblessings

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(