• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing different A. agassizii

valice

5 Year Member
Hi, my first post here...

I recently lost my male A. agassizii... According to the LFS I got my trio, 1 male and 2 female, they are labelled as A. agassizii 'Alenquer'. The male is not as yellow as I see from the pictures in here, might has a bluish tinge as well... So might not be throughbred...

So my question is whether can I just get any other Aga male and put him with the 2 females? Or I should just try to find another Aga 'Alenquer' male?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your A. agassizii Alenquer possibly are a different species from type A. agassizii from Manaus up to Peru. Koslowski (2002) considers it one of the "Net" forms of A. agassizii because each scale above the lateral band on the male has black borders, giving it a distinct net-like pattern. Specimens from southern tributaries of the Amazon, and above Manaus on both sides of the Amazon generally do not show this pattern.

Whether or not it is a separate species, the Net forms will breed with the typical A. agassizii. So the question is, do you want a pure-bred form or a generic aggie? If you do go for any ol' aggie, then please don't sell them as Alenquers.

valice

5 Year Member
Mike, from the attached picture, do you think that it is a true A. agassizii Alenquer?

agassizii-alenquer-male.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might be, but I cannot see the tail or much of the flank pattern. Place a mirror against the outside of the side glass of the tank and take a photo of the fish while displaying.

valice

5 Year Member
Sadly, the fish has passed on after some internal parasite stopped it from eating... :frown: That's the only picture I have of him...

Looking for a replacement male... Hence the initial question...

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Sorry your "Alenquer" aggie died. Apistos are so perverse the way they die for no good reason. If you did'nt care he would still be alive. How is it they seem to spite us so? I know you all know from personal experience of what I say is true.

valice

5 Year Member
Apistomaster said:
Sorry your "Alenquer" aggie died. Apistos are so perverse the way they die for no good reason. If you did'nt care he would still be alive. How is it they seem to spite us so? I know you all know from personal experience of what I say is true.

i think had I not taken him out from the tank into a hospital tank, he probably will still be alive today... His two females also had some parasite, from the looks of their stringy transparent poo-poo... But today, both of them are still swimming around happily... :frown:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
So you see what I mean? I succeed with Apistos enough to keep me interested but this sort of thing seems par for the hobby.
Larry

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….