1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mimimum aquarium size for apistogramma macmasteri?

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by GlamCrab, Dec 28, 2017.

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab New Member

this might seem like an odd question, but.. what is the minimum size for apistogramma macmasteri?
    I was under the impression that my 23 gallon aquarium was fine for them BUT someone on another forum just told me they should be in minimum 30 - 40 gallon aquariums
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

It really depends on your experience as an aquarist, the lay-out of the tank and personality of the individual fish. I consider male A. macmasteri to be 'casually polygamous', so keeping the species as a pair in a tank like a 20 gallon high (24x12" / 60x30cm bottom) that is properly decorated should work.
    Johnson18 and Tlindsey like this.
  3. GlamCrab

GlamCrab New Member

Okai thank you, thats what i thought.
    (Also turns out the person thought i had a group not just a pair) but my aquarium is closer to a 20 gallon long.

Its the fluval vista 23
    Tlindsey likes this.
  4. central tanks

central tanks Active Member

even a trio in a 20 gallon long is possible as long as you have proper sight breaks and properly decorated. Now like mike said it depends on the fish. I have a trio in a 20 gallon long and its perfect no aggression as each female stacked territory on opposite ends.

I also have a 20 gallon where the female no matter how i redecorate will set up shop mid tank and attack anything in sight (shes earned the nickname Bi***) my pencil fish even stay away from her
    Macmasteri-ng_It and GlamCrab like this.