• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mergus Cichlid Atlas II

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue,

What about Apistogramma wapisana?
Can you tell me the former common name of this new described species?

best regards,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue,

What about Apistogramma wapisana?
Can you tell me the former common name of this new described species?

best regards,
Rolo

Hi Rolo :) This species is new to me. However, its appearance makes
me highly doubtful for its significance in the hobby... It's just a
colorless apisto species that many hobbyists (including myself)
will probably ignore when it is found in a bag of mixed apistos ...

blueblue

5 Year Member
Rolo, where did you get this name. I didn't know it had been published yet! Until the description is published, I cannot comment on this tiny species.
Hi Mike, Uwe has included the descriptions and photos of this species in his Atlas II.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Uwe has included the descriptions and photos of this species in his Atlas II.

...and, based on blueblues infos via PM, I'm pretty sure, that the fourth new species, A. wapisana, ist former known as A. sp. "Balzfleck (Courting-Spot)"

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, Rolo, it is the same species as A. sp. Balzfleck/Courting-spot. I just didn't know that Uwe planned to publish it in CA2. He didn't show me the paratypes at the Chicago ACA convention, when he showed me paratypes for A. huascar (=A. sp. Sun-pin/Sunrise), A. rositae (=A. sp. Harlequin/Harlekin), & A. pantalone (=A. sp. Lyetail/Lierschwanz 1).

RiC

5 Year Member
Just to let you (American readers) know the update from the Fishbookstore.com: it will be available on March 1! :wink:

Microman

5 Year Member
Stephen Simpson in the UK has had a delivery of CA2 in this week and is in the process of delivering to customers who pre-ordered copies at the moment.

RiC

5 Year Member
Blueblue, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive... :rolleyes: - I pre-ordered it, it should be shipped to me on March 1st. :biggrin:

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
Just got the book, first comments are;

It's a massive book - just as thick as CA1.

The first 130 pages or so is an updated version of the identification key presented in CA2, (I have never learned to use it properly so I just skip these pages.)

rest of the book;

A lot of photos, they are fine, just not as sharp and bright as in CA1

I like the maps, so much better than previous.
And i also found some typos in the text.
I see that A. sp. "Nanaý" is still a Römer version, but at least he says in the text that it comes from a different river.

When I have time to read more properly I'm glad to take part in detailed discussion. i.e. we all now that misidentification of species did occur in previuos book, CA1, also there seem to be some statements that are not entirely valid as pointed out by blueblue.

That all I have time for now
Regards / Chris

peterK

5 Year Member
I just received my CA2 today! I'm very happy!:biggrin:
I have only a tiny comparision with CA1, but, as blueblue said, there are some mistakes connected with printing. E.g. incorrect descriptions uder photos or drawings (e.g. under photo on p.30 is description: 'Dicrossus sp. Rio Negro male [...] a ripe female (background)' but on the photo is Apistogramma sp. Mamore). Some pics are brilliant for example on p.981 of A. sp. Nanay/Papagei:)

Piotr>>>

RiC

5 Year Member
Received it today too! :) - it looks beautiful indeed... however, the huge amount of typos is really distracting - I just finished the foreword and was amazed to find so many in one single page... :rolleyes:

cageman

5 Year Member
I have the book for a few weeks now and it is an nice piece of work.
However, again there are a few 'misidentifications'. But that makes it more interesting for me to search the right names with the right fish.

I do think it is very nice of Dr. Römer to put my name in the book on page 11:)
Quite an honor I must say.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have the book for a few weeks now and it is an nice piece of work.
However, again there are a few 'misidentifications'. But that makes it more interesting for me to search the right names with the right fish.

I plan to write a book review of the book once I finish reading the parts I didn't translate.

He put my name in, too - just before "two (unfortunately) anonymous contributors":eek: It shows how I rate!:biggrin:

cageman

5 Year Member
I'm looking forward to the review.

He put my name in, too - just before "two (unfortunately) anonymous contributors" It shows how I rate!
Well, after all the effort you have put into it it seems more than reasonable that you got your name in the book:)
I only gave him some A. gossei:biggrin:

Rolo

5 Year Member

Hehe... congratulations!

I know that "surprising feeling" from the Mergus Catfish Atlas.
Feels good, doesn't it?

But be careful!
Whenever you want to read this book ...the first two month you'll just read the book up to page 11. After two month you can try to read the rest of the book! ;-)

regards,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….