• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

making peat extract

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Don't know what you mean by peat extract, but I keep a 50g rubbermaid container with about 6 inches of peat on the bottom. I fill it up and let is set for a few days. They water comes out the color of weak coffee. I also keep an airstone going in to. Then, I use a small pitcher to scoop water out when I need it. If you go slow and easy, it doesn't stir up the peat. If I do get it all stirred up, I just pour it through a fine mesh net. As the water level gets lower, I just refill it when I have the Python out.

aspen

5 Year Member
according to who you are reading, boiling peat can be done to benefit, or it can destroy the peat. i tried it last night, and i got the tea and dumped it in. the water has changed a bt in colour, but the hardness and the ph hasn't moved. maybe i didn't use enough or boil long enough.

i have a 20 gal which i have just set up, with a 15 gal under it for water storage and treatment. the tank has some pencilfish, some glowlights and a pair of rams. i think i will just dump a bunch of peat into the 15 gal with some air, and syphon, then strain the water and see how that goes. btw for a 'final clean' of the peated water, i poured the water through a coffee filter in a melita coffee maker and the water was very clean.

rick

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
For me, the peat water method worked just as slow as actual peat in the tank. I have found that by letting it set a couple weeks in the rubbermaid the water properties do drop some.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
What about the "filtering through peat" method? Here is a link to show you how to do it: http://www.marksfish.f9.co.uk - click on "d.i.y." and then on "peat filtering."

Basically what it involves is running your water through a bucket filled with peat into a larger storage container (like a rubbermade trash can), then pumping that water into your tank(s). I plan on trying this myself, as soon as the shipment from Big Al's arrives with my new water pump.

In my big display tank I put peat under the gravel - of course I move my plants around a lot so now I have lots of peat above gravel, too, but I find that it doesn't muck up the water at all. And my dwarfs love playing in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….