• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Magnolia Leaves and Eucalyptus Leaves

jonah

5 Year Member
I've got a friend here in Oklahoma that's wondering about using dried Magnolia leaves like you'd use Almond or Oak leaves. Anybody tried that before? I did a search, but the one hit I got never actually mentioned using them in a tank.

Also wondering for myself about Eucalyptus leaves. I saw that on a Geophagus site and was wondering if anybody has tried it. When I visit my in-laws in California they've got Eucalyptus growing everywhere.

Thanks.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would stay away from Eucalyptus leaves. They contain an oil in them which stops the leaves from transpiring (releasing water into the air) so much. They would release this oil in an aquarium.

fishgeek

i have no idea whther they are safe, though we add melaleuca oil to the water(tea tree oil) and call it medicinal/beneficial

andrew

jonah

5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
i have no idea whther they are safe, though we add melaleuca oil to the water(tea tree oil) and call it medicinal/beneficial

andrew
I was thinking about that too. I knew eucalyptus had an oil in it, but outside of the Geophagus site, I'd never heard of anybody using it. The tea oil is what Melafix is made of, so it might not be all bad. I might have to experiment on some tetras or something to find out for sure.

Still wondering about the magnolia leaves. My friend found a mention of it on the Krib, but it's only one reference.

chromis

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about Magnolia leaves but if you want to use some leaves to have the same effect as Almond leaves, someone suggested to use Oak leaves. I would agree with the others with regard to staying away from Eucalyptus leaves as well.

Griz

5 Year Member
I have used oak leaves and although it did not effect my pH more than a few 10ths, the fish do seem to like them. I think that my water may be a bit too hard (GH 9 / KH 6) for the oak leaves to have much effect.

What about rhododendron leaves? They do like to grow in acid soils.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Here in kangaroo land we have lots of eucalyptus leaves strangly enough :eek: , LOL. I might try some dried ones, cause I think the indian almond leaf leaved are ment to be dry? with some VT betta's or swordtails tomorrow, and let you know how it pans out, might also try some mango tree leaves they are of a good size and have planty out the back.

Andrew

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just an FYI

Melaleuca is NOT the same as eucalyptus. I'd be wary of trying eucalyptus leaves in an aquarium. Konigwolf, I'd think about the mango leaves as well, they're pretty 'sappy'.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I'm aware of both points, but dried leaves should of lost most if not all nastyness, and it's just a trial in a couple of 10 gallon tank, which will be well monitered. I'm not about to risk my neck risking two of the wife's betta's :biggrin:

Andrew

beleg

5 Year Member
Reviving an old thread..

Magnolia is in the same family with indian almond (T. cettapa) tree.. Perhaps i will try it since its found commonly in Turkey.

Did anyone use it meanwhile?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would not use any leaf that still has sap in it - especially if it is the milky white sap found in fig & magnolia trees. The sap can be toxic to fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….