• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lots of live food

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Speaking of live foods, these caught my eye

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?foodl&1055303359

but before I start dropping cash, has anyone ever tried these 'Microfex' worms? According to the text in the auction, they are a smaller relative of the tubifex. If they can be cultured as easy as depicted and have any nutritional value, might be a good alternative. Any experiences or knowledge of these worms?

Ken

aspen

5 Year Member
ken, i would guess there are thousands of worm like critters that you can get your fish to eat. many are easy to culture. maybe these are the best. but 25 bucks for a starter culture? sounds a little steep, (opportunistic) to me.

rick

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
They are commonly called California Blackworms, alot of pet shop are now selling them as tubifex, but they are a different worm.

If you check on the web that $ amount should get you a pound of them.

As far as culturing them, I have not tried it but most posts and literature say they are difficult to culture. Figuratively you can culture tubifex at home but it is not easy to get the right setup and what a smell. Production is also extremely low.

Best bet is to buy them as you need them.
I have had some problems with them, one batch one time wiped out three tanks of fish, fish died within 3-4 hours after eating the worms, they were washed and cleaned, I think they also harbor similar bacteria as do tubifex.

Thanks

John

aspen

5 Year Member
i paid 12.50 can (9 bucks u.s.) last week for 1/2 pound of cbw's and they were shipped in bulk from cal to detroit, then picked up and driven to toronto. if these are cbw's that is a severe rip-off. surely you should call cbw's by their right name, no?

a cbw culture is iffy at best, if you believe the people who have tried it with limited success. i am going to try it with mine. i only want them as a spawning aid. the fish go nuts for them, but i want my discus and dwarfs to eat dry and frozen. i don't want any picky eaters, which you may get if you start feeding them every day.

there are lots of local places which will sell you cbw's, but i have heard too many horror stories about getting bad worms and killing all of the fish. i got mine from a good place. these guys are risky from the local petstore, imo.

rick

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I always have a pound or two blackworms in the refridgerator. The ones I mentioned in the previous looked different. Smaller, different color. I've tried to culture the blackworms but it seems to be a very slow process. Much easier to just have them shipped to me :)

With all the rain we've had in South Central Ohio these last few weeks, I've started collecting small earthworms as they venture across the sidewalk and driveway. They fish are loving them. I was a bit apprehensive about feeding a 3" worm to a 2" fish, but they don't seem to mind. A couple of the apistos and westies have really colored up. The S. tinanti have bellies that are so full, they now tilt instead of resting flat on the bottom. And the C. regani will practically do tricks to get me to drop another worm in the tank. I might have to convert a busted fishbox into a worm container to have some available throughout the year.

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
earthworms

You can go one step further and propogate them.
Buy a lb or 1/2 lb of red wrigglers from a reputable
vermipost outfit and just culture them the same as white worms.
You will have more than enough worms that you won't know what to do with them in a few weeks.

YOu can also use them to compost your kitchen scraps.
What a by product, free baby worms.

Thnaks

John

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I tried conditioning my Cichlasoma Salvini's on earthworms once. They typically laid from 300 to 600 eggs, but when they were conditioned with earthworms they laid more than 1200 eggs! Must be a lot of nutrition in those worms!

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….