• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Cacatuoides Triple Red - General Breeding conversation

PaulJ

Hi all -

So this is just a general conversation thread, just looking for any general comments. I've read through a lot of the threads, and seen much of the basic info (ie the bigger the tank the better, separate the male after breeding, etc). I am located in Chicago, Illinois

Background - 20 gallon long tank, set up per previous recommendations on this forum (multiple caves not facing each other, no direct line of sight, non-aggressive dithering fish, soft water, lots of plants, etc). See picture for layout overview.

I have 1 m, 2 f cockatoo, and originally 15 Chili Rasbora. I had seen various success in keeping the chili with the apisto reported and I can report that indeed the population of my chili is going down (there are only 9 visible as of this morning). I think the male is snacking on them.

The good news is that one of the females successfully spawned after a few weeks in the tank, and there are at least 25+ babies swimming around (at least 1/4 inch in length and continuing to grow). The mom still aggressively protects them, but many of them are at the point of just exploring - sometimes directly under the male without being chased (or eaten). There was originally over 100 fry from the hatch, but I siphoned out half of them to try to raise in a separate tank (it didn't work out well for that batch). The entire tank gets BBS, vinegar eels, live Daphne, and commercially prepared fry food. I change 25% water every week to try to maintain high water quality.

Interestingly the other female is continually chased by both the male and female and has taken a darker color (not the original bright yellow). I am trying to pull her out, but the tank is so heavily planted and landscaped that it's not been easy. So much for trying to establish a harem! I suspect that 20 gallons just doesn't give enough space for each.

If you look at the picture, almost dead center (or just to the left of the female) is a piece of driftwood with a pseudo-cave like structure. That is where the female laid, raised and hangs out with the brood.

So now I have the high class problems of raising the young to a size that others might be interesting. I might pull a few more out to try and raise separately.

Thanks for reading my humble brag of success! Anyone interesting in tank raised triple-reds in the near future? Anyone have any suggestions on how to pull out the other female, or should I leave her and let them figure it out?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_164914.jpg
    IMG_20221214_164914.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136

PaulJ

A good reason for another tank!

Can you comment on the risk of the male eating the fry? I looked today and they are almost 10 mm now.

I tried to remove him and/or the other female last night but no luck. So far the male hasn't shown any interest in the larger fry (he was more interested when they were newly hatched). I don't want to be lulled into false security and then wake up one morning to a fat male and missing fry

Mazan

You can use a bottle trap to catch the adults as well, if you do need to catch the male. You just cut the top off a plastic water bottle, put the top part inside the bottom the other way round making a funnel entrance. Use a turkey baster to put live food inside the trap. I recently tried this in a tank with lots of plants and driftwood that I didn’t want to take apart. Caught the Apisto in 15 minutes with very little disturbance. I never would have caught him with a net without dismantling everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….