• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Losing A.masken Juveniles

Hassles

5 Year Member
Apistogramma masken

The environment.

Tanks 90 litres (750x400x300) & well established, fine white sand substrate, driftwood, plants, rocks, decent circualtion and filtration. Slight presence of humic acids (lightly stained water) at 26 degrees C. PH <7

Other occupants: 4 x Red Whiptail Catfish, 2 x Black Neon Tetras

I have bred a tankful of Apistogramma masken in this tank but I am losing the juveniles - between 10 and 25mm TL. The fry emerged on March 26th 2010, Temp: 26.6, PH: <7 and GH: 80 - 4.48Dgh. The parent fish are fine as are other tank occupants (parent fish relocated due to predation). Their diet has consisted of a variety of dry foods, frozen shrimp and live blackworm (same as most of my other Apisto tanks). The fish appear to darken about the head slightly, and are seen falling through the water, swimming in spirals and end their time labouring on the tank floor. I have since added a small UV filter but I am at a loss as to determine what the problem may be and what action to take. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess it is caused by water quality problems. Perhaps the tank filter over-reaches capacity at this time in the fries' growth? When I see this happen I increase the water changes. BTW A. sp. Masken is a Blackwater fish. It usually is found in water with a pH <6. Often blackwater fish (especially juveniles) are more susceptible to diseases when kept in neutral or alkaline conditions. Something to think about.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Peat

Mike, thanks for that. I generally have no trouble getting my PH neutral tap water below 6 but....this past couple of weeks or so its been most uncharacteristically close to 8. I have undertaken a water change with filtered water and thrown on a little HOB filter into which I have placed some peat. I'll let you know how things transpire.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Quick Update

G'day Mike

Just a Quick Update:

The filtered water, a little peat and some indian almond leaves apppear to have improved the environment. I have seen no signs of ill behaviour since culling the last of the sick fish. All appears to be Ok at this time. The parents have since spawned again (elsewhere) so I am monitoring the environment here to ensure I have no repeat experience. Thanks again for your comments which remain greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….