• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Get a cichlid or no??? Stocking questions and the infamous shrimp questions

Ashenwelt

So a while back I had a bad disease out break, devastated an assortment of many of my fish. A few hung in there for months, but in the end... they left the world. Basically every single fish I ever bought from Petco (plus those they infected) has died. Sad. I won't be going back to those stores. So here is what is left in the tank:

Congo Tetra x 5 (will be upping to 6)
Dwarf Rainbow x 5 (will not be expanding)
Neon Tetra x 7
Rummynose x 2 (will not replace the losses)
Otto x 1 (not so sure on upping)
Ammano Shrimp x 7
Cherry Red Shrimp x 50????? (at least 10-20 in view at all times)

So no loses since November so it is time to consider expanding the stock.

The tank is heavily planted. I trim a minimum of 1/month (usually 2/month). Attached as a pic. I trim out more plants that you would believe.

So what I would really like is a centerpiece that will not devastate the tank. I originally was thinking a pair of GBR or Apistos... but while I think they may like the hiding places, but I am not sure the Shrimp population will survive. I would prefer them to survive. Losing some of the young is fine.

Other recommendations? I had been considering: GBR, or apistiogramma hongsloi or apistogramma cacatuoides. If anyone has any recommendations on them or other centerpieces. If GBR or Apisto, I would probably grab a pair (or possibility for a pair) simply because thats how I usually do things. I like balance. Insane? Useful? Waste of time? My shrimp are doomed?

My water:

45 Gal
PH 6.9-7.0
KH 0ppm
GH 190ppm
Temp 79-81 F

And yes, that KH is normal for the water here. And in the last nine months (when I started really monitoring it this time around), it has not changed and neither has the PH. Don't don't expect a crash:)

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Tank 3-21-17.jpg
    Tank 3-21-17.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 486

gerald

5 Year Member
A small Apisto species, like A. borellii or trifasciata, or maybe Dicrossus filamentosus ?
That's some peculiar water. High GH (190 ppm = 10.5 dGH) with zero KH? You can certainly create that in a laboratory, but i've never heard of a natural water source with those conditions. I wonder what the source of all that Ca or Mg is, if not limestone? Are you adding Epsom salt (Mg sulfate) or something similar? That could create high GH and low KH, assuming both were very low in your water supply.

Ashenwelt

A small Apisto species, like A. borellii or trifasciata, or maybe Dicrossus filamentosus ?
That's some peculiar water. High GH (190 ppm = 10.5 dGH) with zero KH? You can certainly create that in a laboratory, but i've never heard of a natural water source with those conditions. I wonder what the source of all that Ca or Mg is, if not limestone? Are you adding Epsom salt (Mg sulfate) or something similar? That could create high GH and low KH, assuming both were very low in your water supply.

Yeah. There have been no additives save Excel and Prime. Nothing else. And two different tanks with similar water, with different substrates. Freaking weird I gather, but maybe the water treatment plant is adding something?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos enjoy a meal of insects and crustaceans when available. Full-grown Amanos should be safe - except when molting. Cherry Reds make a nice meal, especially the juveniles, for larger apistos.

Ashenwelt

Apistos enjoy a meal of insects and crustaceans when available. Full-grown Amanos should be safe - except when molting. Cherry Reds make a nice meal, especially the juveniles, for larger apistos.

So what would you define as a smaller apisto?

Locally available (no shipping):
Rams (nearly every variety)
A. hongsloi
A. cacatuoides

All others are shipping.

Thoughts?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You might have luck with something like A. sp. Wangenfleck. Better yet would be micro-predators like A. wapisana or A. angayuara, but both are rarely if ever commercially imported and both are what I call 'ugly apistos'.

Ashenwelt

You might have luck with something like A. sp. Wangenfleck. Better yet would be micro-predators like A. wapisana or A. angayuara, but both are rarely if ever commercially imported and both are what I call 'ugly apistos'.

Where do you get those in the USA?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….