• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting options for breeding tank?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hi all - I am going to set my old 10 gallon up tomorrow as a breeding tank for my cacatuoides and I was wondering about my lighting options - I have a "cool blue moon" night light or can use one of the "bright white" bulbs from my community tank. Other than that I have some very orangey 2700k bulbs or could even go with no lights at all - tank is close to a window so will receive a natural day night cycle of indirect sunlight. Is the latter option more natural do you think? Tank will have no plants just sand oak twigs and leaves and various caves.

regani

5 Year Member
If you don't have plants the colour of the light is more of a personal preference.
For a breeding tank I wouldn't choose very bright lights which might make the fish feel more exposed. Floating plants are another option that will make the fish feel safer in brighter lights

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I might just leave it unlit in that case as it won't be for display purposes - other than water changes I don't plan on cleaning the substrate or glass and will leave it to get nice and ugly hopefully for the benefit of any fry :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….