• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lifespan

K

Kalle

Whats the lifespan of a A. caucatoides?
Its been 9 months since i got my caucatoides.
The male was nearly fullgrown when i got him, but a few days back he died for no reason.
I dont think it was the female who was in "the mood" because she had not the right color, and i have a 100gallon tank with plenty of hiding places.
They have spawn once before and then she chased him, i didnt see it happen now.

I have read somewhere that apisto's live shorter than other cichlids????

Neil

Kalle,
It is difficult to say how old your A. cacatuoides is considering the fact that it was full grown when you got it. The general lifespan of Apistogramma varies a little from species to species, but it is reasonable to assume a lifespan of 2 to 3 years, if they are given ideal conditions. In the wild they probably don't last more than a year very often, because of a number of environmental and preditory factors, but those things can be eliminated in the aquarium. I have had Apistogramma live for more than 3 years, but only rarely. If they live for 2 years, I consider myself relatively successful.Their reproductive lives are shorter, of course. So if your fish is somewhere around a year and a half, it may no longer be interested in the attention from a breeding-ready partner, which can lead to aggression problems. Most fish will try and breed even if they don't have good eggs or live ammo any more though. Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….