• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara ID?

JasonC

5 Year Member
Hi,

So I bought these dwarfs from an LFS labled "Dwarf Pale Flag Cichlids". Best guess from an employee was Laetacara dorsigara, but as they have grown out, I am in serious doubt to the ID. Any ideas?
IMG_7124.jpg

Looking at cichlidae.com, i dont see any Laetacaras who have the same spotting on the dorsal.. both the males that I have show this spotting to one degree or another... the female, (fish on right) has never shown this spotting. She is in breeding colors in this pic, so hope that helps the ID.

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photos aren't good enough to see the face. My guess is that they are either L. flavilabris or L. fulvipinnis. Both get black heads when breeding/courting.

JasonC

5 Year Member
The photos aren't good enough to see the face. My guess is that they are either L. flavilabris or L. fulvipinnis. Both get black heads when breeding/courting.

I will try to shoot some better pics closer to the face. Interesting that you brought up those two sp. though... those were two that I would never have chosen since they are just LFS, tank raised fish... but hey... definitely cool that they are probably not the two more common of the genera... dorsigera & curviceps. I'll try to get some new pics up tomorrow. Thanks!

JasonC

5 Year Member
I'm guessing that they aren't tank raised. Most of the Laetacara that are in the stores are wild caught.

Is that so? I have heard that it is difficult to raise a spawn, but would have assumed that fish farms would have found a way.

Huh... the things you learn... :p

JasonC

5 Year Member
Below is a closer shot of the male if that helps. Did not have time to make it down to the tanks with my camera this weekend. Are there particular features you would want to see for a positive ID?

Thanks!

IMG_7123.jpg

JasonC

5 Year Member
What LFS did you get them at??? Might be worth a trip.

House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie, MD. One of the few LFS's left in the area and a real gem. This was like 7 months ago though, and havent seen them since...

JasonC

5 Year Member
Looks more like L. fulvipinnis right now. Most L. flavilabris males have a pink lip.

One of the males has a pinkish/purplish ring around his mouth.. .is this what you are speaking of when you say "pink lip"?

Thanks again for the help!

JasonC

5 Year Member
Those pics do look awful like them. I actually sent the fish on to Jeff (Aquatic Clarity) in hopes that he could provide a more appropriate environment for them. Now that he has them in hand, he could probably provide some more insights as to what they are... but I think you and Mike are right... fulvipinnis.

And yeah.. they came from a local LFS at pretty cheep too. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye out for more potential Laetacaras at that store...

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Hopefully Jeff can breed them and get them out there, I can't remember seeing fulvipinnis much.

And yeah, I always enjoy looking at the Laetacara and playing the "what is it really game" with them, since they are almost always labeled as curviceps but are dorsigera ... at least around here.

JasonC

5 Year Member
Dorsigara is what one of the employees at my LFS thought they were too. I was convinced likewise by the bicolor caudal fin (white over yellow). But as they grew out, they never gained the reds in the belly, and once the spots on the dorsal showed up I knew it couldn't be right...

They were really fun fish... great front of tank behaviour, and real personalities. They also were putting down eggs once every week to week and a half.. .even in my not ideal tank conditions.. but i couldnt ever get them to hatching. I have no doubt that Jeff will be able to get these guys going successfully in his tanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….