• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help ID the apistogramma from my LFS

akdmks

5 Year Member
I bought the apisto in the photos below from my LFS earlier today. It came with a batch of tiger barbs and had no ID. Has an orange eye and a checkered black line down it’s side. Any ideas on what it could be? Male/Female and/or species?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_4220.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It's a macmasteri-complex species but too small to be sure about the exact species or the sex. The narrow lateral band might point towards A. sp. Schawrzkehl. However, let it grow a few months and then show some more photos.

akdmks

5 Year Member
No, it's not your imagination. The fish looks all but healthy. I was going to comment on that too.
That is part of the reason I picked it up. I am working on the rehabilitation now. Any tips other than frequent water changes and BBS?

MacZ

That is part of the reason I picked it up. I am working on the rehabilitation now.
Just for the chance of introducing something nasty to your tanks this is all but advisable.
Any tips other than frequent water changes and BBS?
Check for signs of inner parasites like protozoan flagellates (Spironucleus or Hexamita) and worms (Cilliates, Nematodes): White stringy feces, nervous movements, stress colouration, at some point loss of appetite.If it has parasites, treat immediately!

For flagellates preferrably with a med containing 2-amino-5-nitrothiazole or Nitro-thiazolylazane. If you are unable to obtain any med containing these, Metronidazole is also an option. But really only if you have no other choice as Metro is also an antibiotic with harsh side effects. It may kill a weak fish rather than cure it. For worms Praziquantel (as long as the fish still eats) would be my first choice, Levamisol (if it stopped eating) my second. Be aware that you will have to do two treatments against worms 2-3 weeks apart.

As you can't tell whether it's protozoans or worms without microscopy, treat against protozoans first (because they are more common) and worms second. Do not treat at the same time, the active ingredients have different periods of effectiveness, one having to stay in the tank longer than the other.
Also please do not treat unless you see symptoms. Do not treat on the off chance of it being sick or as a precaution. An unecessary treatment can do more damage in such young fish than in adult specimens.

Here you find a comprehensive list of meds containing pretty much all relevant manufacturers in Europe and North America.

Last edited:

akdmks

5 Year Member
Just for the chance of introducing something nasty to your tanks this is all but advisable.

Check for signs of inner parasites like protozoan flagellates (Spironucleus or Hexamita) and worms (Cilliates, Nematodes): White stringy feces, nervous movements, stress colouration, at some point loss of appetite.If it has parasites, treat immediately!

For flagellates preferrably with a med containing 2-amino-5-nitrothiazole or Nitro-thiazolylazane. If you are unable to obtain any med containing these, Metronidazole is also an option. But really only if you have no other choice as Metro is also an antibiotic with harsh side effects. It may kill a weak fish rather than cure it. For worms Praziquantel (as long as the fish still eats) would be my first choice, Levamisol (if it stopped eating) my second. Be aware that you will have to do two treatments against worms 2-3 weeks apart.

As you can't tell whether it's protozoans or worms without microscopy, treat against protozoans first (because they are more common) and worms second. Do not treat at the same time, the active ingredients have different periods of effectiveness, one having to stay in the tank longer than the other.
Also please do not treat unless you see symptoms. Do not treat on the off chance of it being sick or as a precaution. An unecessary treatment can do more damage in such young fish than in adult specimens.

Here you find a comprehensive list of meds containing pretty much all relevant manufacturers in Europe and North America.
Thank you for this valuable information, MacZ. The pictures were within minutes of adding the fish to my tank, it has colored up a bunch now. I’ve heard they starve the fish prior to shipping sometimes and they can get emaciated from that. I don’t see any other signs of parasites or illness. The fish is acting normal.

MacZ

I’ve heard they starve the fish prior to shipping sometimes and they can get emaciated from that.
For a day or so, but then the stomach wouldn't look like that. Fish in that state have problems. Either being the runt, not getting enough food because others chase it away, or being actually sick. I hope it's the former.
Still, fish in that condition should neither be sold, nor bought.

Last edited:

akdmks

5 Year Member
For a day or so, but then the stomach wouldn't look like that. Fish in that state have problems. Either being the runt, not getting enough food because others chase it away, or being actually sick. I hope it's the former.
Still, fish in that condition should neither be sold, nor bought.
I’m not arguing with your logic, I agree.

She? has since colored up and has been eating 2x a day with the rest of the tank. Hoping I can keep it going.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….