• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Krib help

Mikey

5 Year Member
I recently purchased(1 week ago) a M/F pair that had not been put in the same tank until i brought them home. The female colored up the second she saw the boy, but even after a week, the male isn't really interested at all and has actually damaged her tail fins a bit from chasing her away. She keeps dancing for him, but he usually just shoo's her away...occasionally watching her and tolerating her for a few seconds. They have clay pots, and lots of plants/driftwood(in my opinion). although the tank is only 38gal. Question is... am i being too impatient, or are these guys just not liking each other. I'm really hoping for a few babies to at least have the experience. Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated. I just thought that these guys are supposed to be as active as guppies.

bigbird

5 Year Member
hello,

I agree, get the ratio up to 2-3 Females and that should help you. be patient, as theysometimes take a few months to get adjusted, especially the males.

cheers Jan-kurt

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Do you have any other fish in this tank; dithers? Sometimes having other fish for him to chase allows him another target to display and practice his 'manly' chasing/protecting.

dhm325

5 Year Member
Female Kribs typical initiate spawning. If you have not already done so, I would add a group of 6-8 small cypranids (rasboras, white clouds or small non-aggresive barbs) and one or two other female kribs. You should not add any of the popular tetra species as they tend to be excellent fry predators. Have you provided a cave for them to spawn in? Also, at what temperature do you keep the tank? I have found that 76% F is about right for Kribs. What are the pH and hardness of your water? They prefer a neutral to slightly acid pH (not less than 6.8) and medium hard water -- around 125 to 150 ppm.

Kribs frequently eat their first and sometimes second spawns so don't get discouraged. Once they get it right, they don't stop.

Have fun.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You mentioned flower pot caves. These will work in a pnch, but Pelvicachromis species much prefer a cave with a roomy interior and a small opening. The opening has to be just large enough for the male to get into, but small enough that once there are eggs in the cave the female can easily block the entrance. I like ceramic caves in the 4" -6" diameter with a hole that is 3/4" - 1 1/4" diameter. Lately I have been using a cave made for me by Bradley Berrry at www.plecocaves.com. I call them 'burritos', because that is what they look like. Bradley makes a square and a round in this style.. I use the round ones that are about 6" long with the hole in the side. Every Pelvicachromis (and Steatocranus and Teleogramma) pair I have put these caves in with has abondoned their old caves for the new style.

Mikey

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses...and here's a bit more info. I don't have to worry about any other fish to add because the tank is probably overstocked already, and i'll soon need an algae eater. Therefore i can't really afford to add a few more females in there to entice him, because then when 2 pair up, the others are picked on, and we're back to the roominess problem. As for the flower pots...i've read that they work excellently as well as caves, and today i thought i would try to put them on their sides and see if things go any differently. There are 2 of them in there at oppositte ends to give them ample choice of scenery/lifestyle or whatever. Originally they had been upside down with a narrow angled opening ground into them, and the male rarely went near them. The female a bit more, but not all the time.
Tank is at 79 degrees constantly, and the pH is in the upper 7's. I think it's fairly well planted(fake ones) with ample hiding spots etc. Maybe i just have to wait until the big guy "horns up" a bit LOL. I'm also aware that they eat the first few batches of eggs, but there's nothing to eat, so they can't get on to the makin' babies! Finally, roughly how long should it take for the female to get full of eggs, even if the fella' is ready?
Thanks again.

Mikey

5 Year Member
Afew pics...

DSCF1049.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1032.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

Not the best pics, but gives an idea.

Mikey

5 Year Member
Not at all. They rarely go in them to be honest with you, but whenever the Apisto gets near either one of them they shoo him away. They are fairly tolerant of all the other ones to a point. I should also say that the male tends to favor the fake driftwood in the center of the tank because of both the cover, and i think also because there are hollow spots(like a cave) in the back/underside of it. The female mostly stays to the right side of the tank and occasionally tries to catch his attention if she sees him. Is there a sure fire way to know when they are ready to spawn, or is it just wake up and .....voila?

Mikey

5 Year Member
Okay folks.....give me the low-down. I have less patience than my 2-year old but i honestly thought that the Kribs were like rabbits and that once they were put together that they swam together, fed together, hid together etc. It's ONLY been 2 weeks for them being together and the female(god love her) tries constantly to impress the boy and she just gets chased away. Is this enough time? Should they not have bonded by now? I don't expect babies like yesterday, but from what i have heard and read about their behaviour, they should be 2 peas in a pod. I'm actually thinking of asking people for a male for male trade to see if i've got a "dud" stud! When a male is interested....what kind of behaviour does he show specifically? I'm hoping that the other fish aren't interfering but i doubt this is the case. The male just wants no romance so far. Tell me i'm a fool and to settle down(for how long?) or that i need to ditch the boy. Just for a reminder, i don't have an abundance of room to get more males or females. I kind of have a one shot deal here. I appreciate all of your knowledge, as well as all of your patience for a newbie with even less patience. Thanks.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Mikey,

My advice would be patience. Some fish breed within weeks , others months, some years. Check all of your water parameters, make sure you give variety of feed etc. Lower some underwaterspeakers with some loving music and whamo. Ok so not the last bit. The male will also display and sway. How hot is your tank ? Did you raise the temp ? My advice, give it at least 3months. These are just my views. cheers jan-kurt:cool:

Mikey

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. Ph is upper 7's, and nitrate is good also. The female eats quite well, and the fella so-so. He did love the frozen brine shrimp tonight though. Over a week period they get flake, a very hard sinking cichlid pellet(agasizzi usually eats), shrimp pellets that everyone loves as well as blood worms, but they float so the kribs don't get em'. The temp is a constant 79 deg as per the thermometer with no changes since set up. Music idea sounds good too. Maybe some Barry White or Kenny G or something smooth like that crap. LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….