• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Pelv Taeniatus in a 10 gal

georgedv

5 Year Member
I have a pair of Pel taeniatus nyete. I am wondering how possible it would be to keep and breed them in a ten gallon. Would I need to add any dithers? How much aggressiveness should I expect?

Thanks for any input

g

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus

Hello George,

Unless you know that you have a well-bonded, harmonious pair, a ten-gallon tank is probably too small for your two Pelvicachromis taeniatus. A twenty-gallon long tank is a more optimal size. As for dither fish, any of the small, benign tetras or rasboras are fine.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree that a ten is a little tight for P. taeniatus. However, if I had to pick one morph that might be able to handle a space that small it would be 'Nyete'. If I were to try it without awell established pair I would probably put the female in by herself for a week or so, then add the male and two ore three small 'target' Pel. pulcher females. The target fish would hopefully keep the agression between the pair down. Small dithers that woudl hand out at the top all the time would be best in that set up. I suggest danios.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I set up a wild pair of P. taeniatus Wouri in a 10 gallon tank by themselves. The male is a 3"+ fish and the feamle is a little smaller. With in a few weeks they had spawned. So it's possible to keep a pair of taeniatus in a small tank, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have had some experience with the fish and can seperate the fish or move them to a bigger tank if needed.

Jeff

georgedv

5 Year Member
The pair I have spawned once in a 55gal. I did not know it at the time. I noticed the male had some cuts around the mouth, so I removed him for treatment. Two days later the female was parading their broad. Within two weeks all the fry were gone. The only other fish in the tank were 3 platies.
After all the fry disappeared, she took on some amazing colors...but no male was present in the tank.

I put the male back in yesterday. Since they only spent a few weeks together the last time, I am not sure how bonded they are. I will keep them in the 55 for another month, and then we will see.

When the two got back together (by the way Ted, the male is from your stock) the male got his colors back in seconds and the female started dancing around him immediately.

They show some promise!!!

g

dhm325

5 Year Member
I have kept almost all of the Pelvicachromis Taeniatus strains but I have never had any successs breeding them in a 10 gallon tank. Make sure that you have a lot of cover and try to include some small cypranids (not tetras) as dither fish.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Based on my experience I think it's possible for young pairs that never spawned before : they're not too big and are often very excited to be alone. For older pairs especially if they have experienced more spacious tanks or duos bought as a "duo" in a shop without having seen them display, it can quickly result in a crisis.

Nonetheless, I'd like to give some precisions :
- in any case, I wouldn't try it unless I have a solution for emergencies (another appropriate tank to put the agressive individual). This also implies to check every day that everything is ok

- the fry is to be removed when they reach 1cm long to be put in a larger tank to avoid growth problems.

- water parameters watch and tank maintenance have to be even more frequent than in larger tanks.

georgedv

5 Year Member
It sounds like pelvs are better off in 20gal tanks. I have about 15 10gals i want to put up on this rack....they'll look so good....

How about apistos...do they stand a better chance in 10gal tanks?

g

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….