• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping multiple species

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
I'm currently keeping/breeding just one species of apisto, and I'm interested in keeping more than one.

Is it possible to keep several males of several different species, with no females present, in a medium sized heavily planted aquarium?

If possible, I'd like to keep a few males this way, and then each female in her own breeding quarters, to which her respective male will be transferred to for breeding.

Apistt_ed

That's actually what I used to do and know of many who still do that! It'd be fine as long as the males have enough hiding places for the subdominant and to retreat from the aggressive ones and they've divided up their boundaries. And when the females are ready to spawn, just drop in the respective male. How many males were you planning on keeping and in what size tank? john

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
Apisto-nut- not *really* but I think I can likely squeeze a few breeding sized tanks into the bedroom yet...(un-benounced to my husband as of yet, lol)

Apist-Ed-Great, I'm so glad this is possible :) I'm not really quite sure how many I would like to keep...likely somewhere between 2 and 5. The tank in question is a 35 gallon.

I'm just trying to figure how I can work it so that I have more than one species at a time, without adding many more tanks, or a lot more maintenance time. I'm thinking about this scenario, or planting out a small tank and keeping another species as a pair in a small species tank. I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess it will depend on how it goes with the breeding setup I'm trying now, which is a bare bottomed tank with sponge filter. Prior to now, I've only bred in fully planted tanks, and so far, I'm not really enjoying the current setup.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I think you'll be fine, so long as you keep an eye out for trouble. I've kept multiple species together with no problems.

In fact, as of today, I have a 20 long housing pairs of A. uaupesi, A. sp. breitbinden, A. cf. eunotus and N. taenia with the last 3 species guarding eggs. The tank is furnished with driftwood, rocks and flower pots. Lots of places for sub dominant fish to hide in and not a split fin in the tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PGH Jeremy

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(