• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Java Fern Tips

bobbdd

5 Year Member
I have some new Java Ferns growing in my apisto tanks. Some of the leaves (both new and old) tips seem to be translucent (or darkening sort of). Ph is 6.0, hardness is a GH/KH of 3-4. Water changes every week, 30%. Seachum plant fertilizer, 50% of directed amount.

Not dying or algae.....any thoughts?

2la

5 Year Member
Normal. New leaves take on a glassy, translucent appearance until enough oxygen is produced to fill in the spongy middle layer between the upper and lower epidermes (-mi? -mises?...).

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) Which Seachem fertilizer are you using? Your description can also be a mild case of chlorosis, which is usually caused by a need for iron. I suggest Flourish Iron.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
Some of the leaves on Java ferns will get very dark, then start sprouting new baby leaves. You can remove these "parent leaves" from the plant and tie them to driftwood, thereby starting a new Java fern colony. They grow slowly, but you get free plants eventually.

Orchid

5 Year Member
Beautiful tank, Eva, what is the ground cover in the October pictures? It looks like E. quadricostas(sp?).

bobbdd

5 Year Member
I think I know

I think 2la was right. The new leaf's tips were darker then the rest of the leaf. They slowly lighten and match the rest of the leave. I'm not 100% sure it's the O2 in the leaf or nutrients I've added, but they are better. Any other thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….