• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara adoketa information

ivantheterrible

I am really in love with the colors of this fish. Do you think i can keep a colony of them in a 40 breeder or 75? I've heard of some people breeding them in a colony setup in a larger tank. If i can't I'd have a spare 20 to plop them in.

How are tankmates? I'm thinking some large bleeding heart tetras for a blackwater biotope.

And how long do they live? Would suck if i spend 60 dollars on a fish that lives 1-2 years

Apistoguy52

Colony in a 40b…not for long. Pair in a 40b, no problem. No idea on tankmates….they’ve eaten all the ones I’ve tried. 3-5 years

anewbie

Colony in a 40b…not for long. Pair in a 40b, no problem. No idea on tankmates….they’ve eaten all the ones I’ve tried. 3-5 years
How large of tank do you need for more than 1 set (i.e, what is their territory size)? Just curious i'm not too interested in a 'colony' but i presume at some point you will reach a limit of what a single fish will claim.

Conversely how small of an aquarium can you keep a pair - 20 long or would a 15 be large enough - i've a passing interest as i generally dislike keeping fishes that must be kept by themselves (limited space); and it sounds like these little rascals are best as a species only fish as a single or pair.

Apistoguy52

How large of tank do you need for more than 1 set (i.e, what is their territory size)? Just curious i'm not too interested in a 'colony' but i presume at some point you will reach a limit of what a single fish will claim.

Conversely how small of an aquarium can you keep a pair - 20 long or would a 15 be large enough - i've a passing interest as i generally dislike keeping fishes that must be kept by themselves (limited space); and it sounds like these little rascals are best as a species only fish as a single or pair.
I acclimated a dozen (of 17) in a 120…without very many murders. Smallest I’ve kept breeding pairs is a 30 long

310 Aquatics

I started with 6 juveniles in a 20 long. As they started to mature, I was a day late when the aggression started. I lost one (most likely a male). I currently have a male and two females in the 20 moving to a 40 later this month. Pulled the other two that were being chased to another 20 long. Still have not sexed those; could be another male/female or two more males? Eventually a 125 for everybody. My LFS has a colony of at least 15 or more in a display tank that seems to be working out. I have Panda Tetras with mine. No losses. The Acara did murder my Otocinclus before I could get them out in time. They do not bother the Bristlenose male I have in there or the Melini Corydoras.

Does anyone have a sure fire way of sexing when still young?

Apistoguy52

Does anyone have a sure fire way of sexing when still young?
At 1.25-1.5”, the males will start to get some of the red color in the face, and display a broken lateral band. Females will display a black face, some red in the flanks, and display black bars. Has been pretty reliable for me, not sure if this would apply to other populations of adoketa?

310 Aquatics

Dimensions? Just out of curiousity.
I know it is a 6 foot tank. I am pretty sure it is a 225 gallon. Some of their fish below.

Attachments

• 20221211_120525.jpg
    20221211_120525.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20221211_120610.jpg
    20221211_120610.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 20221211_120626.jpg
    20221211_120626.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106

310 Aquatics

At 1.25-1.5”, the males will start to get some of the red color in the face, and display a broken lateral band. Females will display a black face, some red in the flanks, and display black bars. Has been pretty reliable for me, not sure if this would apply to other populations of adoketa?
Thanks for the information. The first three pictured are in the same tank. I believe (1) male and (2) females?

The next photo is my smallest alone in a separate tank.

The last two photos were with the trio originally, but were being bullied. So they are in another tank together. They change color constantly and I am not sure. I was told my smallest may be a male as well.

Attachments

• 20230308_183905.jpg
    20230308_183905.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 20230308_185054.jpg
    20230308_185054.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20230308_185107.jpg
    20230308_185107.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 20230308_184247.jpg
    20230308_184247.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 20230308_183943.jpg
    20230308_183943.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20230308_183959.jpg
    20230308_183959.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 101

anewbie

You know this is of interest of me because I've been asking about keeping multiple fishes in large aquariums (4 to 10 ft); and the behavior really changes depending on the size of the aquarium. Put them in a small box and even pairs might kill each other - put them in a swimming pool and they might not care if there are dozens of other fishes (or they might). I wish across different species there was a way to obtain more detail information on behavior as contained area increases.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just remember that, with this species, 1 male and 1 female is not necessarily a compatible pair (from my personal experience). If it were me, I would try to buy 6 young specimens and let them sort it out for themselves. Once I got a pair, any survivors would be removed.

ivantheterrible

Just remember that, with this species, 1 male and 1 female is not necessarily a compatible pair (from my personal experience). If it were me, I would try to buy 6 young specimens and let them sort it out for themselves. Once I got a pair, any survivors would be removed.
What's the best/humane way to "remove them". I hope all the fish i buy can have the best life possible if you get my drift.

MacZ

What's the best/humane way to "remove them". I hope all the fish i buy can have the best life possible if you get my drift.
Net them out, distribute them to your other tanks (if possible), rehome/sell them, make a deal with your source in advance to give back the ones you can't keep.
And just for the record: You don't wait until one dies, you just have to act swiftly and be prepared once the behaviour tells you it's time to separate them. I would call one loss out of 6 still within the normal risks of keeping these fish. But if you keep observing them closely you will know in time when to act.

Fayej

5 Year Member
Late to this post, but anyone selling juvenile I. Adoketa, or I. Bimaculata? I'm in USA, Georgia, have juvenile Keyhole cichlids if anyone interested!

Last edited:

martink

Late to this post, but anyone selling juvenile I. Adoketa, or I. Bimaculata? I'm in USA, Georgia, have juvenile Keyhole cichlids if anyone interested!
i bought some in uk though. there was a guy selling from u.s in march 4th.here

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….