• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this what I think it is?

aquacosm

My sweet cacatuoides girl has the bloat.

Diet: blood worms, daphnia, fluval bug bites

Ammonia:0
Nitrates: 15ppm
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 79 F

Still interested in food, still out in the open.. I've just been doing water changes every other day about 10 to 15%.

1000008797.jpg
1000008810.jpg
1000008801.jpg
any thoughts or shared experience would be welcome

MacZ

This is severe dropsy (a symptom of a systemic bacterial infection), which is basically acute kidney failure. Liquid starts filling the body cavity and tissue until the scales stick out. Also in this case there is a prolapse due to the pressure which will likely get an extra inflammation.

You can't do much about it. At this stage an antibiotic might completely take out the kidneys, epsom salt baths against the swelling are not worth it anymore either. The side effects might be lethal.

I'd do palliative care. Good food, good water, but don't expect the fish to bounce back from this. Will be over in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm sorry.

To prevent this in the future, we would need to know a bit more about the tank, your water and the like. There's a template in the Health-subforum you can fill out if you like, then the forum might help you optimize your tank for keeping Apistogramma. That's the best prevention you can do.

Oh and stop feeding bloodworms. They are often connected to cases of dead Apistogramma.

Last edited:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I euthanize fish that are this sick. MacZ called it correctly...organ failure due to internal bacterial infection.
It simply isn't worth doing heroic treatments for incurable diseases and this case is one of those hopeless ones. Worse yet, it is acting as a reservoir of the disease alive or dead which can lead to other fishes contracting the disease especially those that munch on it's carcass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danceblessings

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(