• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Insanity

georgedv

5 Year Member
Not insane

As you can see many others have shown the list of fish pets they own. So you are not insane. Maybe you are, but you are not alone. Some say we are all insane, but only a few get locked up. Don't worry so much. My wife thinks I am insane, crazy, screwed up ( can I say that in this forum), messed up.... I hope this makes you feel better.

Ha ha ha ha

-g-

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My wife thinks I am insane, crazy, screwed up ( can I say that in this forum), messed up.... I hope this makes you feel better.

You might be crazy, but at least your wife knows you are at home playing with your fish - not somewhere else "playing" with some cute girl!:biggrin:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I updated my list of Westies for someone and thought I would share...

West African Cichlid List 1-17-08

Anomalochromis thomasi-Guinea form

Benitochromis:
conjunctus
nigrodorsalis
riomuniensis
ufermanni

Chromidotilapia guntheri loennbergii

Congochromis:
dimidiatus Leza
sabinea

Hemichromis:
guttatus
sp. Bangai (guttatus type)
sp. Guinea 1
sp. Guinea 2 (one lone male)
sp. Moanda

Konia eisentrauti

Nanochromis:
parilus
transvestitus

Orthochromis stormsi

Parananochromis:
caudifasciatus
longirostris

Pelmatochromis:
buettikoferi
nigrofasciatus

Pelvicachromis:
humilis:
Bofia
Fria
Keeli River
pulcher
roloffi
rubrolabiatus
sacrimontis:
Red
Green
signatus
sp. Guinea Blue Fin
sp. aff. subocellatus
subocellatus Moanda
taeniatus:
bipindi
bandawouri
Lobe
Lokoundje
Moliwe
Wouri

Pseudocrenilabrus:
nicholsi
sp. Baria Gold (possibly P. multicolor victoria)

Pungu maclareni

Sarotherodon caroli (one lone female)

Steatocranus:
casuarius
gibbiceps
sp. square head
sp. Red Eye (one lone fish)
tinanti

Stomatepia:
mariae
mongo
pindu

Teleogramma brichardi

Thoracochromis callichromis

Tilapia:
brevimanus
sp. "Mamfe"

And several other species coming in tarde in the next few weeks. That is if it warms up at this end...sub-zero temps for a while-incluiding a Packer game!

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My latest addition is not a fish - it's an aquarium. I just found a gold tone stainless steel framed 7½ gallon (24l x 12h x 6w in./60 x 30 x 15 cm) Pemco brand aquarium complete with gold flourescent hood and matching stand. It's got to be at least 35 years old. The crazy thing? I already had a matching standard stainless steel framed 7½!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice Mike! Pictures please.

I started down the unhappy road of collecting antique aquariums and literature as well. :rolleyes: The jewel, pardon the pun, of my small collection is a 1920's 8 gallon Jewel aquarium that my wife got me for some occasion-we don't remember if it was a birthday or anniversary gift! I finally found a tiny amount of info about the tank when I found a copy of the original ad for the tank in Klee's updated book The Toy Aquarium. Now I'd like to find the magazine with the original ad.

I still need to order some handrolled glass to replace the cracked and chipped glass, but the slate bottom and meta work are in great shape.

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Jeff

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
My List

Jeff's list got me going. Here is what I have (*=breeding):

Anomalochromis thomasi
Benitochromis conjunctus
Benitochromis finleyi
Benitochromis nigrodorsalis
Benitochromis riomuniensis
Benitochromis ufermanni (only 1)
Benitochromis sp. "Eseke"
Ctenochromis polli
Chromidotilapia guntheri
Chromidotilapia guntheri loennberi
Congochromis squamiceps
Etia nguti
Hemichromis cristatus *
Hemichromis stellifer *
Hemichromis letourneuxi *
Hemichromis sp. Guinea II *
Konia eisentrauti
Limbochromis robertsi
Parananochromis caudafasciatus
Pelmatochromis buettikoferi
Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus *
Pelvicachromis roloffi
Pelvicachromis sp. aff suboccelatus
Pelvicachromis sp. "Blue Fin"
Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor *
Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi (females)
Pseudocrenilabrus philander
Pungu maclareni
Sarotherodon linnellii
Steatocranus sp. "Square Head"
Steatocranus sp.. "Red Eye"
Stomatepia mariae *
Stomatepia pindu *
Thoracochromis brauschi
Thymochromis ansorgii
Tilapia bythobates *
Tilapia gutterosa
Tilapia joka *
Tilapia synderae *
Tilapia sp. "Mamfe"

Steve

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Steve,

Very nice. This is the second time this week I've been envious of someone else’s fish list! Hopefully you start spawning a few more fish on that list so I can get some from you.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I also have a Jewel aquarium. It is a 1950s era black iron framed 25 gallon with a brass plaque "Jewel Chicago, Ill." on it. It weighs a ton & sadly the top has rusted out. Have you thought about how you will replace the glass in your tank? The asphaltum (or is yours 'red lead'?) is nasty stuff to work with. I've done it before, but it's not fun.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thankfully almost all the original sealant is missing. The is a little bit of hardened "black tar" in a few places but it's nice and brittle and should come out easily.

I'm only as far as starting to look for some hand rolled glass to use. I've been told that stain glass shops handle the hand rolled glass. As far as sealing the seams...I haven't gotten that far in the plan. What would you recommend?

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know that they used rolled instead of float glass way back then, but float glass is flatter and has fewer distortions. Will you have to pull the slate bottom out? On most metal framed tanks the bottom was the last piece to fit in the tank. If so, you will need a propane torch or an electric iron to heat the frame & soften the asphaltum so it releases the slate bottom. If you decide to use an iron - especially if it's your wife's:eek: - cover the base plate with aluminum foil. Once you get asphaltum on an iron, you can't get it off very easily. Anyway, I always used black silicone sealant. I ran a heavy bead of silicon up the sides and along the bottom rim of the metal frame. It needs to be a heavy bead because it needs to fill the area where the thick asphaltum originally existed. Then I set the front & back panels in, & quickly pushed them in place with the side panels. Then I would press in the slate bottom. If the tops of the glass panels don't fit tight, then get some wooden lathe and form braces at the top of the glass panels (& the bottom is the slate doesn't fit tightj). Allow a day or two to cure. Then I put a very thin bead of clear silicon (so it seals the joints, but isn't obvious) on the inside edges of all of the panels and bottom slate. I find that silicone doesn't adhere very well to slate. I usually take coarse sand paper and "rough-up the outer edge of the upper surface of the slate bottom. The silicone grips to it better. Let it cure for 2 - 3 days. Fill with water & pray it doesn't leak:biggrin:.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I keep almost exclusively West Africans. Here is a list of what I currently keep, in addition to various tetras and (micro)synodontis:

Benitochromis sp. Eseka
Benitochromis nigrodorsalis
Benitochromis ufermanni

Chromidotilapia guntheri guntheri
Chromidotilapia guntheri loennbergi

Gobiocichla wonderi

Hemichromis sp. Moanda

Iranocichla hormuzensis

Pelvicacromis taeniatus Moliew
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Dehane
Pelvicachromis pulcher Isokpo
Pelvicachromis cf. suboccelatus

Steatocranus sp. Squarehead
Steatocranus casuarius
Steatocranus tinanti
Steatocranus sp. Red Eye
Steatocranus gibbiceps

Teleogramma brichardi

Thoracochromis brauschi

Tilapia joka
Tilapia bythobates

I'd be really interested in adding Chromidotilapia linkei and/or nana to my list. Send them my way if you have any.

Janos

andris

Mike what is your experience in keeping Hyphessobrycon heterorhabdus? Did they hunt apisto eggs?

2 - 5 year old Belgian Flag Tetras (Hyphessobrycon heterorhabdus) - never got around to breeding them

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I haven't had these in decades. They were fine in a community setting with dwarf cichlids, but this wasn't a breedng tank. In breeding tanks I only use pencilfish - if any dithers at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….