• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID please

mixmixi

Hi,

This norberti is as large as 3 cm and it was given to me as a male. However, I think it is a female, yet very unsure. It is showing no pattern on caudal fin, its colours are intense too, but also it has a very small black patch on the rear side of the dorsal fin which I hope you can see in the two pictures. Any idea if this is a young male or a female, please? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMGP2881.JPG
    IMGP2881.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 442
  • IMGP2882.JPG
    IMGP2882.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 437

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
No question that is a female.

It doesn't strike me as norberti either, but that could be because of the soft focus of the pictures.

mixmixi

It is actually a juvenille of A. sp. aff. norberti not the typical norberti. I spoke with the seller through phone who is also the collector of this fish and assured me they are a pair (which I am still unsure) The image has been taken within the first half hour fish was released in tank. I shall update this threat with more images in the next few days.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Is this the Apistogramma cf. norberti (Lyretail) from the (Albergue) Tacana area in Leticia?
Yes, probably Tom. According to Steve McAlear, the catch locality is "km 11 via Tarapaca Leticia Amazonas colombia. It was a stream in the Yahaucaca drainage". The picture of an adult male he posted on facebook had a lyrate caudal fin and the anterior dorsal fin lappets were highly extended.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Thank you, Frank.
Interesting! I didn't have the time to look for this fish myself when I was in Leticia in October, but a friend searched for it at Km 11. Unfortunately he didn't find any, he only got A. bitaeniata in the net that day ...

mixmixi

Hi Tom,

Yes as Frank said they are meant to be the youngsters of the new form, I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

mixmixi

Just a quick update. the dominant fish now shows a marking on the rear of dorsal fin, however I am still in doubt if they are males or females or both sexes (the images are from the dominant fish).

IMGP3122.JPG
IMGP3127.JPG
IMGP3133.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This dorsal spot is found on A. norberti, A. cf. norberti Lyretail, and even A. hoignei. Your fish, obviously, is not A. hoignei because this species, being a regani-lineage species, does not show a lateral spot. That leaves the 2 norberti-group species. Which it is, I won't even guess at this age/size. Even sexing would be a guess.

mixmixi

You are certainly right Mike. I was just trying to give an update to this post. I shall keep posting more photos every month and we may be able to see to what they will grow up. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….