• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

IBAMA list

HaakonH

5 Year Member
At the L-number Days held in Hannover this weekend, Henrique Anatole from IBAMA revealed some news about the upcoming extended positive list. The new list contains over 700 species, and among them 28 species of Apistogramma are said to have been added to the already existing list of species allowed for export. I don't know which species, but this is still promising news. Anatole said the list will be released within a month or so.

Haakon

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Anatole said the list will be released within a month or so.

Haakon

Is that mean it will be released within 6 month in planet Earth time? I think those guys live on Pluto since everything is backward just like Pluto rotates in the opposite direction to Earth.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have an "older" draft-version of the new positive list, but there are only 5 Apistogramma species on it :-(
But I just asked Henrique for the actual list, if I get response, I'll let you know.

regards,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

short version... ;-)

It is a list from the brazilian environtmental agency IBAMA, which contains all species of fishes, which can be exported legally.
In the past, this list have been ignored more or less and any fish has been exported, in case of doubt under a wrong name (which has been on the list), because nobody from the IBAMA was able to determine species and decide wether they are allowed for export or not.
Since a few years, the IBAMA started to have a closer look on the abidance by the laws. Several aquarists and exporters have been sent to jail for illegal exports, because due to the fact, that the acual list is outdated and very few common species are listed, there are very less species allowed at the moment and some people don't abide by this.

Now this list was reworked by the IBAMA (and this was done by Henrique Anatole) and it seems that it will be published still this month. After that, there will be much more species to be exported legally.

Just an example: until now there have been only 5 species of apistogramma that could be exported legally. On the new positive list there will be 28 species!
For sure, this is less than we had in the past, but it's much more than we have at the moment. So, the "good times" - when every (especially new discorered) species could be brought back home by hobbyists or be exported by professional exporters - are definitely over. Strictly speaking, nearly all exports of ornamental fishes has been illegal for all the years in the past, just nobody minds for that.

regards,
Rolo

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Seems it's here.

http://www.in.gov.br/visualiza/index.jsp?data=04/01/2012&jornal=1&pagina=29&totalArquivos=112

58. Apistogramma agassizii
59. Apistogramma bitaeniata
60. Apistogramma borellii
61. Apistogramma brevis
62. Apistogramma cacatuoides
63. Apistogramma caetei
64. Apistogramma commbrae
65. Apistogramma diplotaenia
66. Apistogramma elizabethae
67. Apistogramma erythura
68. Apistogramma eunotus
69. Apistogramma geisleri
70. Apistogramma gephyra
71. Apistogramma gibbiceps
72. Apistogramma gossei
73. Apistogramma hippolytae
74. Apistogramma incospicua
75. Apistogramma juruensis
76. Apistogramma meinkeni
77. Apistogramma mendezi
78. Apistogramma moae
79. Apistogramma paucisquamis
80. Apistogramma personata
81. Apistogramma pertensis
82. Apistogramma piauiensis
83. Apistogramma pulchra
84. Apistogramma regani
85. Apistogramma resticulosa
86. Apistogramma rupununni
87. Apistogramma staecki
88. Apistogramma taeniata
89. Apistogramma trifasciata
90. Apistogramma uapesi

Still some described species missing though, like A.arua and A.tucurui. Any others?

-Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, I am not very informed on this import/export stuff from Brazil, do you still need a permit to export them?

Most definitely! I would check to see if allowances are made for tourist/collectors. In the past Brazil has been very restrictive about who (including Brazilians!) can export fish. Still, it looks like any apisto native to Brazil can be exported. I imagine that scientifically undescribed species could be export, too. A. sp. Abacaxis/Willhelmi, for example, could be exported as "A. pulchra Wilhelmi". They are different species, but even the above-average inspector probably couldn't tell the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….