• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Apistogramma caetei Xingu"?

HaakonH

5 Year Member
My Czech supplier lists a species as Apistogramma caetei Xingu. It's not among the cheapest on the list. As far as I know, A.caetei is not found in the Xingu, and regular caetei are listed at a much lower price. Does anyone know what might hide behind the name?

Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Presently, all known species of the caetei-complex originate in the Tocantins/Araguaia system, Ilha de Marajó, and coastal streams to the east (there is a report of an odd caetei/taeniata-like species from around Macapá on the northern side of the Amazon, but it is unconfirmed). None that I know about come from the Xingu. My guess is that the fish is a form of A. sp. Xingu, which is similar in appearance to A. caetei.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike! I was expecting that. I think I'll order some and see what arrives.

Haakon

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I received some "Apistogramma caetei Xingu" the other day. I'm really not sure what to think...Hopefully someone can help me identify them? That green stuff on the first pic is algae on the glass.

ap_catetei_xingu4.jpg

ap_catetei_xingu3.jpg

ap_catetei_xingu1.jpg

Haakon

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Thanks, Mike! They are enjoying life in a huge showtank where I work. Could this perhaps be A9, Apistogramma cf. taeniata "Xingu" then?

Haakon

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….