• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I got me another pair of P.t. Lobes!!!

Orchid

5 Year Member
I was up north shortly after Christmas and just "happened" :wink: to visit my favorite lfs in Salem, and they even had a pair of P. t. Lobes for sale! :D

Of course I had to purchase them to replace my deceased pair from the heater malfunction. I was afraid for the female because the male was beating the tar out of her in the lfs's 15 gallon planted tank with cherry barbs and pearl gouramis. Once they made it to the twenty long tank I had set up for them the male stopped picking on her within a few days. Now they swim together most of the time. They frequently do the shimmey dance to each other. They have very little to do with the upturned flower pot, and choose to hide under the anubias barteri leaves or the driftwood, or even in a depression in the flourite at night.

I almost got some dither fish for them but now I don't think they need any. They own the entire tank already and they are not afraid of me in the least. They go about their business, taking mouthfuls of gravel, chewing the algae off the anubias leaves, they were even curious when I was doing a water change on their tank today. I have noticed the female chewing the older leaves off the bolbitus fern and the greedy male sometimes eats the flakes at the water's surface. The female is half the size of the male, I think she is full grown, too. Her belly is bright iris with a turquoise sheen and she is such a lovely coppery yellow color. The male is less impressive in coloring, only his belly is yellow.

It would be great if they bred, but if not, at least I finally have a P. t. Lobe pair!...and a way better heater...(knock on wood).

Neil

Hey Orchid,
I was wondering where you were at the past few weeks. Glad to hear you got Lobe again. Here's hoping all works out with them this time.
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
Farm41: The place I always go to when I am in Salem is Advanced Aquarium near the Salem Hospital. They have always been so polite to me and so far I've had success with both their salt and freshwater livestock.
Neil: Just busy during the holiday season and nothing new happening with the fish.

My P.t. Lobes are still doing fine (knock on wood), the male is excavating a big ditch under the driftwood, he started excavating around one of my anubias bangkok. I had to put a stop the plant's excavation when I saw his head disappear under the plant and then the plant shake violently, so I covered up all his work. The female spends all her time looking for food, now she realizes that I provide the food and she is beginning to beg when she sees me. :) They still own the tank and still dance, they are so charming I think I am going to name them. Gon for the male and Dwana for the female. I see them chewing on the tips of the dwarf water onions and algae growth, but they don't seem to like the spiralina flakes, go figure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….