• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many pairs in one 40g tank

Christople

Hi I was wondering if I could have a couple of pairs of rams in the same 38 gallon tank. Right now thereis only one ram and I am hoping to breed them... By the way any tips

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Assuming your tank is a "long", rather than a "high"? you would be all right for 2 pairs, although you need to break up line of sight etc.

I don't think you will be able to breed them in this tank, the problem with Rams is that they breed in the open (on a pot on the the substrate etc.), and when the fry hatch they form a "cloud" around the parents, rather than staying close to the bottom. Both of these factors make them difficult to successfully breed in a community setting. Because you don't have any conventional dithers, the free swimming fry would probably be all right, but I think your Bristle-nose (and Kuhli Loaches?) will eat the eggs at night. Also If your Bulldog plec is a Chaetosoma sp? you have another problem in that they like much cooler water than Rams (which are happier above 27oC).

If you can keep the eggs safe you need clean water with low TDS (I think most of us would heartily agree with the quote in your signature), and because they fry are so small, very small food initially (BBS are too big), ideally a protozoan culture and micro worms, or my personal favourite, an established tank with some biofilm and a lot of Java moss, this provides a lot of "free" food, and also snags the microworms.

If you are in the UK? PM me and I will send a micro-worm culture.

If you haven't had a look at ApistoBob's "Rams" page, I'd strongly recommend it: <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php>, along with his pages on "Good habitat" <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Good_habitat.php>

cheers Darrel

Christople

first off what is tds and what I plan to do is let the rams lay the eggs and then move tem to a net breeder and let them hatch there. Then I will move some fry to the free space and let them fend for them selves. When they fry In the breeder are big enough to be moved to another tank I will. And the tank Is 36x12x17

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
TDS is "Total Dissolved Solids", it is a measure of all the dissolved substances (the solutes) in the water (the solvent). When we say "water", we almost never mean H2O, but a dilute solution of one, or more, salts.

Pure H2O is an electrical insulator, but a solution conducts electricity in direct proportion to the salts dissolved in it. We use this to measure the dissolved salts as the "electrical conductivity" of a solution, by passing a current through it.

The relationship between conductivity in Micro Siemens and TDS in PPM is that 100 microS is equivalent to 62 - 64 ppm TDS.

and what I plan to do is let the rams lay the eggs and then move tem to a net breeder and let them hatch there. Then I will move some fry to the free space and let them fend for them selves. When they fry In the breeder are big enough to be moved to another tank I will.

I'm not sure this will work, I never pull any of my eggs or fry, so I'll leave it to some-one else to advise you on this.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A net breed will almost guarantee that the eggs will die. You would be better off putting the eggs in large jars or small tanks like angelfish. If you are going to pull the eggs, why do you need such a large tank? A well bonded pair will breed in a 10. Just give them only 1 good spawning surface like a clay saucer. That way it's easy to pull the eggs. For those who want to see if Rams will breed and raise their own fry, then a larger tank would be needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….