• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How identified the sex of male and female Biotoecus opercularis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, but only when fully grown. The females tend to have a heavier body, slightly blunter dorsal/anal fin tips, and much shorter (if any) streamers on the caudal fin. How large are your fish?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well if I wanted to get a pair of this species from a tank, I would buy at least 4 (preferably 6). I would pick out 2 larger, more slender specimens and 2 (or more) medium size specimens that appear to have deeper bodies.

Microman

5 Year Member
In my opinion Biotoecus opercularis are relatively easy to sex from quite a young age. Theres one diagnostic feature that gives you 100% accuracy where sexes are concerned and that is the row of metallic blue spots along the dorsal fin. In males the spots are quite clearly separated but in females the spots fuse together. Even though they are relatively easy to sex as Mike says a group is still best, I kept mine in breeding groups of 6 fish( 2m/4f) in 3ft tanks without any problems at all with females regularly guarding eggs/fry at both ends of the tank.
I bred 100s of Biotoecus opercularis in 2006-2007 and studied them very closely indeed. One of my favourite SA dwarfs, outside of Apistogramma, and well worth keeping.
I know Charley has them in France Nicolas. Go on treat yourself...
Mark...

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Mark is right about sexing the Biotoecus opercularis. 'Solid' blue line versus 'dotted' blue line on the dorsal fin is the key. However, when they are small, it takes a pair of 'trained' eyes to tell the difference. Once you notice the differences, you can spot them easy.

FIL

5 Year Member
Thank you very much ;) .

Yes, i know Charly but i had a lot of problems of sexage with him (much frustration by mail order selling) and the communication is very difficult :( . I prefer to find an other person and see the fishes to choose them or find a reliable person to do choice.

Nicolas

Loriculus

Hi Guys,

let me challenge you - so what you think this is:

_MG_3493.jpg

Regards
Peter

Loriculus

I really did not see that blue line as a differentiator yet. Good one ;)

Here are some pic's where the fins of a male make clear that it is a male

_MG_3508.jpg

and here a female full of eggs:

_MG_3498.jpg

See the black spot the female shows ?

Unfortunately the fist nest did not hatch. Patience I must have ;)

Microman

5 Year Member
Yes the row of blue dots on your males dorsal are quite clear and on your female the dots clearly fuse together.
This diagnostic feature is 100% accurate from quite a young age, certainly much earlier than the differences in finnage and body shape that we all generally look for when sexing many cichlids.
As most wild Biotoecus come in very small this diagnostic feature it is most helpful when picking out your fish.
Good luck with them Peter...
Mark...

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I am curious about the white fuzz on the lower left hand corner of the last picture (female). BTW, those are great pictures.

Loriculus

This diagnostic feature is 100% accurate from quite a young age, certainly much earlier than the differences in finnage and body shape that we all generally look for when sexing many cichlids.
As most wild Biotoecus come in very small this diagnostic feature it is most helpful when picking out your fish.
Good luck with them Peter...
Mark...

I wish I would have checked here earlier Mark ;) just days ago I have been offered tiny fish (supposed to be WC) the price was very high and no one could tell sex or even what Biotoecus it is.

What is the common understanding, do we have one or multiple species in the trade ?

illumnae

5 Year Member
I managed to get what was IDed by the shopkeeper as a pair of Biotoecus opercularis (adults) last month in Hong Kong. The male is a very obvious male, displaying extended pelvic fin, more elongated body shape and the row of dots clearly on the dorsal. No streamers on the caudal fin, though.

With the female, the body shape is different (plumper) and pelvic fins without extensions. The green line is fused, but confined only to the front half of the dorsal (i.e. it is short), and the back half of the dorsal is clear, as far as I can see. Would it be safe to assume that my female is legit, or could it be "undeveloped" due to age and spots may appear towards the back half of the dorsal at an older age?

They're still pretty shy so the description above is the best I can do - can't get photos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….