• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identifying Apistogramma species

vlreinier

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could identify my Apistogramma species as I did not find an good answer on the internet.

I added two pictures of the male and female each.

Thanks in advance!

(The store sold them as wildcaught ortegai)

Attachments

• PXL_20230531_141451301.jpg
    PXL_20230531_141451301.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20230531_141431049.jpg
    PXL_20230531_141431049.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230531_141455501.jpg
    PXL_20230531_141455501.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20231005_122911444.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20231005_122911444.MP~2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 61

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I think the store is correct, but i’m sure the experts have more to say.

-r

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Since the female doesn'r show an extended or double caudal blotch it's not an ortegai-subcomplex species. It's most likely a cruzi-subcomplex species or less likely a cruzi/ortegai-subcomplex bridge species. Has the store any information on the catch location (other than Peru)?

vlreinier

Unfortunately I dont know where the fish are caught. I can ask the store owner next time I am there. I did find another picture of the male and female where the males colors are a bit different due to lighting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230518_111153084.jpg
    PXL_20230518_111153084.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I'm now sure that it's a cruzi-subcomplex species. Which one I can't tell for sure without more information/pictures. E.g. if they are from Peru and the male shows yellow pectoral fins it's A. sp. Nanay.

vlreinier

I'm now sure that it's a cruzi-subcomplex species. Which one I can't tell for sure without more information/pictures. E.g. if they are from Peru and the male shows yellow pectoral fins it's A. sp. Nanay.
Cool thanks for the help! If I know where they are from I will upload the location.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Small sidestep question…
What kind of cryptocoryne is it in the last picture?

-r

anewbie

Here are a couple of crypts you might like @rasmusW

pink jacobi (affinis is the species):
nn8.jpg

nurri rosen (pink culvature):
nn9.jpg

plain nurii (I think):
nn4.jpg

(odd thing about samsung phone camera; the white balance gets confused by the pink plants and make them even more pink - all three are in the same aquarium but only the last one is decent balance).

While the jacobii pink (trade name) is not a wenditti it has similar long leaves and grows like a weed under the right condition. I can send you some free ones when it warms up as i need to thin the aquarium. I've been told the species is crypt affinis but not sure if that is accurate but i've seen pictures of some wild colour crypt affinis but none sold in the usa other than the pink jacobi.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Here are a couple of crypts you might like @rasmusW

pink jacobi (affinis is the species):
View attachment 14059

nurri rosen (pink culvature):
View attachment 14060

plain nurii (I think):
View attachment 14061

(odd thing about samsung phone camera; the white balance gets confused by the pink plants and make them even more pink - all three are in the same aquarium but only the last one is decent balance).

While the jacobii pink (trade name) is not a wenditti it has similar long leaves and grows like a weed under the right condition. I can send you some free ones when it warms up as i need to thin the aquarium. I've been told the species is crypt affinis but not sure if that is accurate but i've seen pictures of some wild colour crypt affinis but none sold in the usa other than the pink jacobi.
Thanks a lot Sir.
I have actually just ordered one of the pink maiden (nurii) and i have few “tropica”, which i think is just a cultivar of wendtii. So i think i got enough for now, but thank you for the offer and insight.

-r

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….