• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Holiday Conversation Topic

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
What are your favorite 3 Apistogramma sp.? (You do not have to have had them in your own tanks or even seen them in person.) If you want to explain why they are your favorites that would be great! But at least list your top 3 picks please.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata Rio Tigre; it's such a beautiful population of this species (my avitar) and not really hard to get breeding.
A. wickleri (domestic strain of A. steindachneri from the 60s & 70s); it was big (4"+/10cm+), beautiful (mostly blue and orange/red), really peaceful and easy to breed. Sadly it disappeared in the hobby once 'more exotic' species appeared. It was just too common.
A. eunotus (probably the same as the type form) Rio Shahuayo, the Pink Apisto; a big, deep-bodied/high-backed species with a pale salmon pink body and orange fins, and easy to breed. It met the same fate as A. wickleri. I've had collectors look for this fish several times over the past 10 years; hasn't been found.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
My 3 picks are a little more tame:

Apistogramma cacatuoides-I prefer the wild types (almost any of the locations and forms) because I like looking for that "special" fish in the group. But I also like A. cacatuoides in general because of how many people it has reached and brought into the world of Apistogramma.

Apistogramma borelli-Any of the forms will do but I really like the gold head form. I think this is the first Apistogramma I kept that readily spawned for me. This is back when it was a REALLY common export out of Brazil and dirt cheap.

Apistogramma barlowi-The red face or blue form is stunning and the white form is down right impressive with its massive size. The mouthbrooding trait just intrigues me to no end. I assume this fish won't stay in the Apistogramma genus and I could even see the red face and white forms being two different species.
(I have a better picture of a mature fish somewhere but can't find it right now!)

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
A. agassizi - The forms like Alenquer that have that neat < tail pattern. I've always been more of a pattern over color person.

A. baenschi - Body shape very 'cichlidy' ... almost more of an acara shape. Plus great dorsal fins and the contrast of the blue body and red tail stripe.

A. miua - Awesome mix of pattern and color. Thanks to Mike for introducing this species to me at his GSAS talk. Beautiful species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….