• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heteranthera Zosterifolia aka Stargrass

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
I got this plant about two weeks ago and it looked fine but
now the tips are turnining black. What does this mean. My tank
parameters are as follows: PH 6.7, gh/kh 2, Temp 79-80deg.
I use R.O. water only, I have CO2 unit and lighting is at about
3.35 wpg. I don't seem to have any problems with other plants
or fish for that matter.I would think my water parameters are
ideal, but something is wrong. Can anyone help?

farm41

5 Year Member
I have no experience with this particular plant, but it could be that the plant is just going through a shock period from changing water conditions.

RO water is far from ideal for plants, great for the soft water fish though. Plants need the valuable nutrients that RO units strip from the water.

Do you use any supplements in your water?

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
I agree with you that RO is best for my apisto's, I hope its just
shock. I use Seachem comprehensive plant supplement,iron and potassium
fertilizers once a week. I also have plant tabs in the gravel.

aspen

5 Year Member
watch for rotten stems with that plant. if the roots aren't growing in it is likely that the stems are rotting. i would trim it back and float it. you should see big tufts on the new ends, let them grow out and cut the bottoms off to the good part .zostefolia is a very fast growing plant under your conditions, although i've only ever grown it in med hard water, i've seen it thrive in very soft water.

rick

depthc

5 Year Member
What is the nitrate level in the tank? I see you dose fe and p04 but no n03. All plants need nitrate to stay nice and healthy and it may be something overlooked by trying to keep up optimum water quality. Its suggested to have a nitrate level of around 5 to 10 ppm.

Are you using pressurized C02?

What other plants are in the tank and any algae problems?

Andrew

douginsf

5 Year Member
re:stargrass

This plant is a fast grower once it gets going but takes a while to get established. Usually the older leaves will turn black but just be patient. Let the plant adjust to your tank/water and you should see plenty of new green growth after about a month or so. When the new growth is tall enough (3"-4") you can snipp off the tops and discard blackened bottom portions. Then simply replant the new, healthy cuttings and in few more weeks you should be fine. You can grow stargrass as a bushy carpet with regular pruning or let it grow to the top of your tank.

Graham

5 Year Member
I recently had this same problem with some well-established H. zoster.
I upped my Nitrates to the 12-15ppm range (from about 8ppm) and boosted the PO4 up to 2 ppm (from 1). In the last 7-10 days since I started this, the number of black leaves has really decreased and the plant seems to be growing faster. Before, even newer growth was getting the black stripes on the leaves and now they're nice and green. I've also been making sure the GH stays around 3 (by adding CaCl and MgSO4 in a 4:1 ratio), so I'm not sure what did it, but I've been told they really need the nitrate.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Hmph. I've never had my leaves go black. I keep it in a tank with Onyx sand substrate, pH 6.4, Hagen PlantGRO Co2 and my 2.2WPG. Its a pretty fair deal. The growth of this plant is enough to keep me going on trimmings that I have plenty for my next tank project when its ready.

I also keep Peat in a media bag in the filter (19USG, BioLife 33/55 Internal) to help lower the pH. The lower pH (more acidic), the easier plants can draw nutrients out of the water.

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….