• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Bitaeniata sex id

deco

Hi all,
finally I got 4 Bitaeniata, they arrived about 20 days ago and now they start to show some colors, occupy coconuts and the bigger ones show themselves at the top.
Can you please help me identify their sex?
I read the other threads on same topics in this board, and got some ideas... but I need some confirmation.

The 4 apisto are: B1, B2, S1, S2 (Bigger 1, Bigger 2, Smaller 1, Smaller 2)

Bigger ones are about 5-6 cm total length, smaller ones are 3-4 cm.

B1: Bigger, lyrate tail, full yellow color, elongated ventral fins: for me it's a male

B1_body_1.jpg
B1_body_and_tail.jpg

B2: bigger, same size as B1 but no lyrate, seems truncate tail. This one for me it's impossible.
Tail seems truncated... young male or almost adult female?

B2_body_1.jpg

B2_body_and_tail.jpg
B2_tail.jpg

S1: smaller, whitish colour, transparent fins, round tail: for me it's a female.

S1-full-1.jpg

S1-full-2.jpg

B2: very difficult to get photos, hope are good enough.
strange checkerboard pattern on top. Colour more "grey".
Caudal fin is almost impossible to judge, but it seems truncated. Maybe young male?

S2_body_1.jpg
S2_body_2.jpg
S2_tail.jpg

Thank you very much :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata males > 4cm/1¾": extended front dorsal spines; long ventral fins (beyond beginning of anal fin); obvious lyretail (usually) with a pattern of spots and/or stripes; many blue (Peruvian forms) spots/stripes or large yellow area (Brazilian forms) on head.

A. bitaeniata females > 2.5cm/1": front dorsal spines with no or only very little extension; ventral fins shorter (to beginning of anal fin); round to squared off caudal fin with no caudal markings (or very faint); much fewer blue markings (Peruvian) or much less yellow (Brazilian) on head.

deco

Thank you Mike, as always, quick and precise.
So... could be:
B1 male
B2 female
S1 female
S2 too small
?
Do you agree?

deco

Sorry the last group of 3 photos, marked as "B2: very difficult to get photos", should instead be "S2: very difficult to get photos"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….