• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Sex apistogramma cacatuoides and id

rowsley

Im saying male, what ive been researching, but i would like to know if im right. Any help would be appreciated. I got 3 off someone on facebook. She called them apistogramma cacatuoides yellow.. so im not sure on that either.

Attachments

• CM160319-13061907.jpg
    CM160319-13061907.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 383

rowsley

Here is a picture of it out of the cave, if it helps better

Attachments

• 20160319_135321.jpg
    20160319_135321.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 364

rowsley

To me it looks like a male of the orange-flash strain that wasn't fed color enhancing foods, so the red in the fins didn't develop.
Is that usually done on purpose, and could the red still show in time?
I got 3 of them from someone on facebook, and they all look the same, besides not knowing their genders. Matter of fact she called them apistogramma cacatuoides yellow. I have no clue.

Thank you for your reply

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
She can call them anything she wants. It's only a made up name, as are all commercial names. Can they develop more red? Possibly, if fed a live food like cyclops.

rowsley

She can call them anything she wants. It's only a made up name, as are all commercial names. Can they develop more red? Possibly, if fed a live food like cyclops.
Hard to tell by the pics, but since the last photo he is a lot more orange in color. More in person then photo.
20160410_082311.jpg

rowsley

But i ended up getting a nicer looking male for the ladies. Bought as a double red, but thinking its a triple?

Attachments

• 20160410_083640.jpg
    20160410_083640.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 280

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, this is what is sold commercially as Triple Red. You realize that you will be mixing color strains. It's hard to guess what the offspring will look like.

rowsley

Yes, this is what is sold commercially as Triple Red. You realize that you will be mixing color strains. It's hard to guess what the offspring will look like.
Oh im not mixing them, they are in seperate tanks. Triple red male is with 2 triple red females. I just wanted to show the color change since the last photo.

rowsley

Here is a picture of one of the triple red females. They spawned last week. She was guarding the eggs, and he was patrolling. On the second day, she just left the spot and never went back. Got the females from the cichlid garden online, and found my male at gerbers in dayton, Oh

Attachments

• 20160412_093401.jpg
    20160412_093401.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 266

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….