• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help needed for apisto tank mates

sheag35

ok i am hoping to add fish to my apist tanks that will not be a threat to fry if/when they breed, what would people suggest as dither fish for apistos... all answers appreciated

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I have been using the tiny flame and emerald eye rasbora recently just to see how they would go and neither tank of fry have had obvious losses. Oto's seem to work well too for cleanup fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Many people here recommend pencilfish. You should avoid most schooling tetras like Cardinal and Rummy-nose Tetras. They are very effective fry predators.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Nannostomus eques is a very popular dither species for many Apistogramma breeders. They eat very small foods and are mainly surface oriented.
They are also long lived. I have had specimens live six years.
The only drawback is that they are excellent jumpers and will find the smallest of opening in the cover to escape.
Marble Hatchetfish are also good but they are much more delicate and unlike the larger Silver Hatchetfish, they normally don't thrive unless they regularly receive some live food in their diet. Wingless Fruitflies are the ideal food but bbs will suffice if that is more convenient for you than culturing flies. They are also very prone to jumping out.

sheag35

thanks for the suggestions guys, like the little flames and pencils, must give them a go... any problems forseen with corys in the tanks??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Corys are bottom-dwelling fish just like apistos. They will eat eggs/fry if they reach them and the female is almost powerless to stop these little armored tanks. About the only vulnerable part on a cory is the eye, which apistos are known to attack and tear out. I don't recommend corys or any other bottom-dwell fish in an apisto breeding tank.

sheag35

Corys are bottom-dwelling fish just like apistos. They will eat eggs/fry if they reach them and the female is almost powerless to stop these little armored tanks. About the only vulnerable part on a cory is the eye, which apistos are known to attack and tear out. I don't recommend corys or any other bottom-dwell fish in an apisto breeding tank.

thanks Mike I'll remove the corys then

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….