• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help in identifying new fish

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome Cmartin

In order to post an image the picture needs to be posted on an image hosting site, and then linked from here. The icon with the picture of a mountain will prompt you for the url of the image. Insert the url and the picture will appear in your post. The links you put in your post do not bring up the image. THe first is a dead link and the other is an aquaria-central thread, but I do not see an image in it.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I also cannot see your images. You need to be a member of AC for them to be visible. I used to be a member many years ago, but it appears they have cleared out their database.

A good choice to post your pictures to is www.photobucket.com
It will give the links to post on websites such as this one.

specJ

5 Year Member
if the fish in question is the one in the bottom link, then it is a female Apistogramma cacatuoides...

ste12000

5 Year Member
I would say Female Apistogramma Cacatuoides, however i am not an expert on Apistos, im sure ted can identify it 100%..

I will say that it looks like its never been looked after Properly!!!! clouded eyes, ragged fins,very dull colour. This fish is in desperate need of TLC.. Plenty of warmth with soft acidic water, also give it a cave to hide in and a piece of wood. Feed frozen bloodworm along with high quality dry food and it should come on fine.

Goodluck.

cmartin

5 Year Member
A little history

I bought a used tank a few weeks ago and several fish came with it.

When I first saw the tank I thought the water looked a little 'dingy' but then it could have been the lighting. The previous owners had the tank emptied and the fish in a 5 gallon bucket by 9:00AM the next morning and called me to come pick everything up.

The fish (6 Silver Dollars, 2 Tetras, 2 Rainbow Sharks, and my mystery fish) were in a 5 gal bucket with the filter and a tank ornament that looked like cracked bell. I am sure that ride in the bucket was not very comfortable for any of them.

When I got them home I tested the water in the bucket - Nitrates were off the chart. I did a very slow acclaimation - from 10:00 AM until 8:30 PM. I would remove a couple of cups of water from the bucket and replace it with clean dechlorinated water. I got the Nitrates down to 40 before I put them in the tank. I did have a heater and bubbler in the bucket for them.

I seeded the filter with 'filter squeezing' from my 72 and added a couple of large tank ornaments. The substrate was so filthy that I didn't bother to put in back into the tank. I continued to test and the levels have now stabilized.
I do regular weekly water changes and vacs.

Most of the fish were a little beaten up, but my mystery fish certainly looked the worst. He/she is eating well, seems very friendly, and is healing quickly.
I will be moving most of the fish around to my other tanks this coming weekend - they will have been in 'qt' for 4 weeks at that point and I have not seen any sign of disease or problems.

I plan to move everyone out of the tank I just bought - the Silver dollars will be going into my 72 gal with my Black Ghost Knifefish, Cories, and a few danios.

I have a piece of drift wood that will be going in for the second round of boiling tonight. I setup an extra filter last night and will likely swap both filters.

I will setting up a new 30 gal for the tetras, a few danios, and 'mystery'. The sharks will be moving to a new tank - found a friend with established tanks who will take them.

I have a really nice piece of driftwood that I have already boiled once, but from the looks of water, atleast one more time is needed.

I have been feeding mostly flake and pellet food, but will certainly start feeding some frozen bloodworm. I have several plastic plants that I will start with, but I do want to replace them with live plants in the near future.

I can provide a couple of different ornaments that he/she can hide in, but when ever I go near the tank he/she comes over to the glass. It could be that the rainbow sharks have already laid claim to the 'hidey holes' in their current tank - I can't wait until they are gone.

Once I know for sure exactly what type he/she is - should I try to find a mate? I heard that they were normally sold in pairs. Would an additional pair be a good idea?

I will do what ever I can to give all of my fish the best possible environment. Any advice is certainly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itartiero

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….