• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help identifying colour strain.

Andrew Powell

We have a beautiful Apistogramma Agassizii male and I can't remember what colour strain he is.

I think he is a 'Double Red' or 'Super Red'.

Please can someone confirm.

Cheers

Andrew

WP_20140615_006.jpg

WP_20140615_003.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Commercial names are just that, names used to describe and encourage hobbyists to buy. I have seen commercially bred specimens of A. agassizii like yours sold under many names. For me it is a Red Agassizi or maybe even a Hüser Red, depending on how deep blue the flanks appear.

Andrew Powell

In addition, our Apistogramma Eunotus is wild caught. I can't remember where they were caught from but after doing some research on the web, I cannot find what cf they are (Not like it'll make any difference as he is a gorgeous fish!)

WP_20140618_003.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any fish (apisto or otherwise) that has no known collecting location should not be listed with one. You eunotus-complex fish is one of the populations of A. cf. eunotus (Schwanzstreifen/Tail-stripes).

Andrew Powell

Sorry, I should have specified......I meant the Agassizii...that guy has got some weight on him...

He has indeed. He and his two females are in our community tank which means that not only is he eating live food, he's eating other fish (Endlers Guppy fry, which there is an unlimited supply). He is a big and very beautiful fish though :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….