• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Has anybody noticed this type of behavior

dac343

5 Year Member
Perhaps this is common but I haven't really seen it before but I have a female A. Rotpunkt that seems to enjoy moving her eggs around. At first I thought they were just eaten by the other fish in the tank but have discovered that she is in fact picking them up and moving them. They are currently in the wiggler stage and any time she feels threatened she picks them up in her mouth and puts on a threat display. Once they are gone she spits them back out. I wouldn't classify it as mouth brooding since they spend a majority of the time outside her mouth but I still find this kind of behavior a little strange. I guess my question is a very simple is it normal? Or am I seeing something rather unusual?

RHS788

5 Year Member
I have some female cacas that do the same. Bottom line is I learned to leave them be, especially at the wiggler stage.

Good luck.

Randy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….