• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got my Book

mematrix

5 Year Member
:biggrin: Hi All I got my Cichlid atlas vol 1 and am very happy with it. Was defenitly able to ID my cruzi as a cruzi. Which By the way have spawned I pulled the eggs since I have a snail prob right now about 30 eggs look to be viable will know in 3 days LOL. Ihave seen some awsome fish in the book like the Apistogramma sp emerald on pg 922 how can I find some? There are others but this one is really interesting to me.

Curtis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I need to tell you something. Uwe's atlas shows at least 2, possibly more species as A. cruzi. Which of his "A. cruzi" do you have (look at the caudal spot at the base of the tail)?

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to Mike

Hi Mike My A.cruzi is the one in the bottom photo He looks just like him. now that he has grown some when i asked you to ID a while back they were only 4 and 5 cm now they are at least fem 5cm male 7-8 cm

Curtis

mematrix

5 Year Member
Another couple questions

Oops I ment to ad a couple ?s when is the hatchery opening up. and i was checking out southen apistos and saw A.mortenthaler tryied to googel but no matches is there another name it goes by?

Curtis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Mortenthaler is the same fish as A. cf. martini (= A. sp. Leierschwanz/Lyretail 1 (yellow morph)). We are not positive that this is the same fish that Römer described as A. martini (= A. sp. Leierschwanz/Lyretail 2 (blue morph)). The 2 populations have differently marked caudal spots & other markings.

The true A. cruzi - the one with a bi-color tail (red/orange top lobe & pink bottom lobe) & a more square caudal spot (see: Römer Atlas p. 359 bottom & 360) is exceedingly rare in the hobby.

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to mike

Thanks Mike The person i got thease from got them from a friend who used to import fish from peru and he told her they were Cruzi mine are supposed to be F1s hers were wild she still has the male but lost her female I will have to query her on the persons name and take a look at hers closer. again thanks for the info on questions can't wait till the hatchery opens for buisness and see what you all have to offer.

Curtis

Rolo

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
A. sp. Mortenthaler is the same fish as A. cf. martini (= A. sp. Leierschwanz/Lyretail 1 (yellow morph)). We are not positive that this is the same fish that Römer described as A. martini (= A. sp. Leierschwanz/Lyretail 2 (blue morph)). The 2 populations have differently marked caudal spots & other markings.

The true A. cruzi - the one with a bi-color tail (red/orange top lobe & pink bottom lobe) & a more square caudal spot (see: Römer Atlas p. 359 bottom & 360) is exceedingly rare in the hobby.

Hi Mike,

are you sure, that A. sp. Mortenthaler ist the same as Lyratail I??? I always thought, it was a synonyme for Lyratail II (= martini). Do you have more info?

And I wouldn't call Lyratail I as A. cf. martini. It's a pretty different species. Even Uwe said, that A. martini has nothing to do with Lyratail I, they are two species.

best regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rolo has pointed out a problem with this common name. It seems that Martin Mortenthaler shipped the type material of A. martini to Römer for description. This was the 'type II' blue form of the Lyretail Apisto (=A. martini). This is an extremely rare fish in the hobby (at least in North America). Instead, we get the yellow 'type I' form in the USA under the name 'A. sp. Mortenthaler'. Since memetrix was asking about Mortenthaler from a North American source I expect that these are the yellow type I form. So, which species is the real Mortenthaler - now that both fish have been sold/discussed under the same name? This is a good reason to never use A. sp. Mortenthaler again.

LyreTail

5 Year Member
I thought my fish were Cruzi species until Mike assured me the were in fact properly identified by Mr Jacobs at Southern Apistos as A sp "Papagei". Mergus Cichlid Atlas Vol 1 does not contain this fish

Curtis B

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….