• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

good apisto homes

aspen

5 Year Member
i have tried all kinds of things, to provide a decent home for my apistos. these include, clay pots of various sizes on their side, a small plastic (sinking) reptile house, a rock sculpture, and various pots and glass things, etc. (everything from my cupboard almost) and a few diferent store bought plastic ones, but by FAR the best thing i've found, is a piece of bogwood (or mopani, not sure which is which) wth multiple routes through it. it is about 6" across (round kinda) and about 4 1/2" tall and is kinda like a 'lump'. there is enough room under it (concave), and a few different 'tunnels' into this crevice, top and sides and the fish always use this first. i can put any pair of apistos i've had in a tank, and the first home claimed is this one.

it is very attractive, (dark brown/light brown wood) and i paid about 10 bucks can, (6 us) and works the best- fish tested! i looked all of the pieces of this wood over at the lfs, the other day, and didn't find another which would suit quite as well, so i guess i just got lucky. if you are needing a good apisto home, i would suggest you look at the mopani wood, and see if they have such a piece, this will make an attractive display for my 90 gal.

hth, rick

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)

I like to use coconut shells that are cut in half and sunk down into the gravel. Recently I have been tying javer fern, java moss and anubias onto the shells. Works great... looks cool... fish sem to like them.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
I use mopani driftwood as well and it does seem to provide the crevases that most apistos really crave.
exception- borelli's don't go near it...
agazizzi , Bitaeniata and cacatoides seem to prefer it to coconut or pots
but borelli seem to like the flower pots or rock structures.

I find that the apistos will never lay on it though. They live in the wood but when egg time comes around, then they head over to the pots or coconut shell. I think its something about the smooth surfaces for eggs.
HTH

mordor

5 Year Member
My A. sp. "Masken" always lay eggs in small crevice in driftwood. Funny thing is that all 3 females chose the same spot I guess they might have queue for laying eggs :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….