• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gold Ram vs Blue Ram

R

Roger

I dont always pay attention to whats going on around me so sometimes I end up with a question that I probably should know.

:oops: :?: :oops:

Whats the difference between gold rams and blue rams? Will they cross breed?

Peace,
Roger

Randall

5 Year Member
Colorful Rams

Dear Roger,

Matt is right. Through inline breeding, we have blue, gold, blue gold, giant and long-finned Ram stains that I know of. They're all the same species, however. Give me a wild blue Ram anyday.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

Roger,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

They are in fact very similar. The gold ram is simply an aquarium strain of the typical wild Microgeophagus ramerizi. You can definitely breed these fish together, and will likely see anumber of both types in the fry that they produce.
Neil

R

Roger

Gold Vs Blue

Thats what I always thought, Ill have to see if I cant come up with some of the long finned varieties.

I have some tank bred blue rams now, and I have always like them. I just see the gold rams on occasion and I was going to try and grab some of those as well.

I just finished picking up the final pieces for my discus community tank. Corys and plecos, now I just need to find a replacement for one of the apistograms that died, I think it was the male that croaked on me. Im hoping a 55 will look nice with a few wild discus and dwarfs running around on the bottom.

Peace,
Roger

Randall

5 Year Member
Giant Ram

farm41 said:
I have never seen the 'giant' ram. How big does it get?

Dear Matt,

You remember Moby ****? Just kidding.

I've only seen "giant" rams a few times, and have never kept them, so I don't know exactly how large they get. The ones that I've seen were incredibly high backed, giving them an almost circular shape. I much prefer the wild and German blues myself.

Randall Kohn

aspen

5 Year Member
i saw a tank full of really big blue rams (maybe the giants) and while they were big, their colours were not as crisp and defined, maybe more washed out. i like the tank bred german rams myself the best.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….