• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting ready to add to my apisto collection

ktluvsfish

Hi Everyone,

I'm Katie, and I'm new to this forum, but not new to keeping fish. This forum has been an invaluable source of information for me, so I figured I should post and introduce myself.

As far as my apistos go, I currently have a 20 long with a pair of A. Macmasteri, and in the past I have kept A. Cacatuoides and A. Borelli. I am getting ready to fill a couple of my tanks with some new apistos, so I would like some advice on stocking and the species that I order. I am going to be placing my order with Scott, from Amazon Tropicals, and he has the following species available that I am considering...

A. Melgar
A. Sp. Rotpunkt
A. Sp. Purple
A. Agassizzi
A. Bitaeniata

I currently have a bowfront aquarium that is about 18x10 inches in which I would like to house one pair. The tank is heavily planted with lots of caves and driftwood. My other tank is a 24x24 inch cube. The tank has lots of driftwood and a few plants. I would ideally like to house 2 pairs in this tank if its possible.

I am currently thinking about A. Bitaeniata, A. Sp. Purple, and A. Melgar.

I have a few questions...
Which of these would do best in the smaller tank? Would I be able to keep 2 pairs in the other tank with 4 square feet of footprint to establish territories? Which species would be most compatible.

I would really appreciate any experience or input that anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Katie

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, welcome to the apisto forum. You'll find a lot of great information here.

Now for your questions. I personally think that your 10X18" tank is a bit small for any of the listed species. It is possible, of course, but there is a greater chance of losing a fish from aggression. My ideal small tank apistos are A. borellii or A. sp. Wangenflecken. The other tank should work well with a couple pairs of any of the listed species, mixed or the same, as long as there are well established boundary markers. I would also recommend that if 2 different species are housed, that you choose species with different body shapes.

Of the 5 species listed, A. sp. Rotpunkt is the least demanding of water values and relatively easy to breed. It can be aggressive (= needs more space). A. sp. Melgar/Nanay is only a little more demanding, but less aggressive. A. sp. Pebas (Morado/Purple) is more aggressive than either and more demanding for breeding (needs soft, acid water). Both A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata are only moderately agressive. A. agassizii is more tolerant of harder, neutral water, while A. bitaeniata requires soft, acid waters.

If I were in your situation, I would try A. sp. Pebas (Morado/Purple) with either A. agassizii or A. bitaeniata in the cube. As for the bow front tank, you might get away with any of the above except A. sp. Pebas. Just keep an eye out for aggression problems.

MonteSS

I have some of the fish from Scott that you listed.

The Melgar and Bitaeniata Shushupe are very nice.

young Shushupe male
Picture1675.jpg

Picture1580.jpg

Melgar pair
Picture1215.jpg

Picture1221.jpg

The Crystal are very nice too.
Picture2211.jpg

I love the Inka 50 i got from him too too. A bit more aggresive though.

I believe the "Purple" and Melgar are pretty similar so they may not work together.

....Bill

ktluvsfish

Mike, thanks so much for the information. There is so little information on the internet for some of the more uncommon species. Since the Rotpunkt seem very similar to my Macmasteri, I think I will pass on those. I think for my cube tank I'll go for the A. Bitaeniata and A. sp. Pebas. I am torn on whether I want to try another pair (maybe A. Melgar?) in my 8 gallon bowfront. If its too small and aggression gets out of hand, I could potentially move them into my 40 breeder; however, it is currently home to my rescued stunted Rotkeil severum (he's an adult who was stunted to 6 inches before I got him, but otherwise healthy), but I am a little concerned about compatibility and whether or not he would attempt to prey on the apistos. The tank has lots of driftwood for shelter. Any thoughts on this?

Bill, thanks so much for posting the pictures :) It was your review of Scott's business that convinced me to order from him ;) Its really nice to see what the exact fish look like. I really like the A. sp. Crystal, but since my water is a little more basic (ph 7.6), he did not include those on the list that he recommended for my water. How do you house your apistos? Do you keep them in community settings, or species tanks? I always like to hear what setups others have had luck with.

Katie

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have always considered A. bitaeniata very shy and not very aggressive Apistos. I would try a pair in the smaller tank but they are not an easy species to breed, in my personal experience. They rate among the difficult to breed Apistos in my mind. They were once very commonly the most numerous species back in the days when I would order 100 assorted Dwarf Cichlids, hoping for a few A. agassizi or something new and unfamiliar.
I have kept a few hundred and tried to breed them a half dozen times over the past 4 decades but I still have not been entirely successful with them.
Most of the time when they spawned all the eggs would be gone the next day.
Apistogramma are strange little Cichlids. What is hard for one person is easier for others and visa versa so ymmv.
Hard to believe they used to wholesale for $25/100 and retail and sell very slowly at only $0.79 each.

Bill,
I also appreciated the photos you posted. I am not yet very familiar with the various new Apistogramma species amazontropicalfish is offering. I am also trying to decide which species new to me I want to try.

ktluvsfish

Apistomaster, thanks for sharing your experience with A. Bitaeniata. I think I will give them a try in my smaller tank and see how it goes.

Some sad news... I lost my male A. Macmasteri today, due to a very elementary mistake on my part. The tank was heavily planted for the last 8 months, and a week ago, I removed 75% of the plants, and added more driftwood, and floating plants. I did a 50% water change when I removed the plants, but apparently that wasn't enough to compensate for all of the dissolved organic matter that was released from the substrate from pulling up the plants. When I noticed 2 days ago, that my male was hiding and not eating, I immediately tested the water. My ammonia and nitrites were at 0, but my nitrates were off the chart. I did a 75% water change that day, and 50% the following day. Now my nitrates are back at 10, but I lost my male in the process of getting them there. I am disappointed in myself for making such an oversight because the water quality in my tanks and health of my fish are always my first priority. Meanwhile, that leaves me with a lone female who is still in perfect health. I think I will put her in the 60 cube with my 2 other pairs and see how she does.

I placed my order with Scott today, and here is what I decided on...
A. Bitaeniate: to be housed in small bow front tank
A. Cacatuoides: to be housed in 20g long (in place of my macmasteri pair)
A. sp. Purple and A. Agassizii: to be housed in 60g cube tank

I also have some Indian Almond leaves on the way to help soften my water and provide the tannins that the fish appreciate.

Thanks so much for all of your help so far. If anyone has any other advice please let me know. I'll be sure to post pictures once the fish arrive and get settled in :)

Katie

nicos apistos

5 Year Member
scott

Hi was planning on ordering from Scott aswell. Any pics of his barlowi, baenschi, juruensis, and wild cacs.?? I think he is on a trip, know when he will be back. And lastly, anyone know where I could get Ap. Breitbinden

ktluvsfish

Hi was planning on ordering from Scott aswell. Any pics of his barlowi, baenschi, juruensis, and wild cacs.?? I think he is on a trip, know when he will be back. And lastly, anyone know where I could get Ap. Breitbinden

He hasn't left for his trip yet. I think he leaves next week. I don't have any pics, but I'll post some when I get mine :) Bill may have pics of the Baenschi because he mentioned that he got some from Scott.

MonteSS

Here is a big male Kelleri (3"-he calls it Jutai)
Picture2288.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

And little Cac (which I lost the trio)
Picture1946.jpg

Picture1887s.jpg

I cant get a good shot of the Baenche. Lots of orange though.
Picture1916.jpg

Good luck with your fish and keep us posted.

...Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….