• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frustrated and sad fishkeeper

Drakken

5 Year Member
I posted before about my Apisto C. male not doing well. He died this morning. It makes me sad that I could not save him since he was a real fighter and hung in there longer than I thought he would. Some will say "It's just a fish" but he had a great personality and was lots of fun to watch.

I only blame myself, but fishkeeping can be very frustrating sometimes. I read books, magazines and forums hoping that I'm doing the best for the fish but so much info is contradicting that it makes it hard do what is "right". I guess it's all part of learning but the results of mistakes usually cost fish their lives.

Thanks for listening.

Keith (aka Drakken)

Neil

Sorry to hear that Keith! :(
It is a tough thing to loose a valued fish and it makes it worse when you go to alot of effort to make sure that it is well-cared for. Apistogramma can really be confusing. You do every little thing for them and one dies. At the same time you kind of become lax on caring for another and don't expect much from them and they flourish and spawn and live to a ripe old age. The best that you can do is do your best and know that that effort will make a difference later, if not this time. Get back on the horse, Your efforts will pay off in the long run.
Neil

Z Man

5 Year Member
Keith, If it is consolation to you, I consider myself the champion Apisto killer. I have successfilly bred 25 different Apistos but if I would have bred all that I had at one time or another that figure would be doubled. Some that have died by my hands can not even be found any more. Two of my greatest losses were A. sp. Breitbinden and A. mendezi. SHAME ON ME! Z-Man

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:(
Fish die, and that is always bad news, but try to learn from the experience. I have found that more fish die not from poor husbandry, but from something the fish brought with them. This is especially true of wild fish.

Try again!

Drakken

5 Year Member
Thanks all!

I do have 1 Apisto left, a female. She is in my small tank with a few neons and is doing great. I plan to keep that tank simple and make no changes since everything is working good.

I appreciate everyone's support! :D :D

Orchid

5 Year Member
When I lost a $50 pair of wild caught Pel. taeniatus 'Lobe' to a faulty heater, I was seriously considering giving up on the whole aquarium hobby, even my reef tanks because I was so heartbroken :cry:. I couldn't stop thinking that if these little fish were never caught I would not have bought them and they would still be alive and free in there native environment. But that is not for me to say, their native environment has predators, disease, possible pollution, daming up of lakes and streams, and any number of ways to also kill fish. Now I have another tank set up specifically for another pair of 'Lobes' complete with a reliable heater. I greatly look forward to the day when I will have the opportunity to aquire another pair :). Everyone here has given you some great advice, that sick to your stomache-heartache does go away. Good luck.

aspen

5 Year Member
drakken, you re not alone. we have all done this, sometimes with the most treasured of our fish. hopefully you have learned something about these fish, that will allow you to be more able to blame something beyond your control next time. the more you learn the better, but there are still many mysteries about keeping these fish alive and healthy in the long term. the fact is, sometimes they just die. :cry:

rick

Drakken

5 Year Member
Rick,

I have learned a lot so hopefully I can aviod mistakes in the future. I have found this forum to be very helpful too.

Thanks,

Keith

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
8O Ohhhhh... the fish that have died on my watch... :(

Rick is right. We have all been there...

vancat

5 Year Member
Drakken,
when my 8yr old Angelfish died last month, we buried her in the yard next to 2 (buried) cats! I even went out to do it in the freezing rain. It was a sad event.

It's good that we love our pets.
:)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….