• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

flea "bomb"...fish safe?

kretz11

5 Year Member
i've had a recent outbreak of fleas....if i stand in one spot for a few seconds, I see 5or6 black specs appear on my feet!! I've never had a real problem with fleas before, especially in the cooler months. I haven't had any luck with any of the powders that you sprinkle on the carpet and vacuum up. My Question is are there any effective fleas bombs(or anything) that are fish safe?

thanks
kevin

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
No fish safe one that i know of. I had to do this once as well (I have 7 cats and a dog!). cover your tanks with cellophane, making sure that there are no openings. your fish should be OK for the few hours that it takes to bomb the house. Make sure you open the windows, and air the house out well, before removing the plastic. it may also help if you increase airation while the tanks are covered up. this worked for me with no casualties.

Rich

R-S

5 Year Member
Skip carpet powders...useless in my experience. The single most effective thing I've found to keep fleas under control (once you get them "mostly" out of the carpet) is to use Frontline on the pets. It's the only thing that worked for my Pomeranian-flea-magnet up here in the Pacific NW where there is no such thing as a flea-free season. It works great because any flea that subsequently gets on the dog/cat is killed...without having to bite the animal to get killed and without poisoning the whole household environment. Any fleas left in the carpet or that come into the house from grass/outdoor areas are attracted to the pet, then die before they can reproduce or bite.

farm41

5 Year Member
If you flea bomb the room, you are going to need to turn the air pumps off , or they will pump the insecticide right in the tanks.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
You know....I never did think of that! Thanks for correcting my bad advice Matt! At the time I was running all whispers, and i did not turn them off, but I covered them with cellophane as well. I didn't use added airation, but I thought it might be of some help. Just goes to show you....anyone can give bonehead advice without meaning to! LOL!

Rich

aspen

5 Year Member
rich, it is the forum concept at work once again. lots of great ideas, and even corrections, for when we slip up.

rick

ginnie5

5 Year Member
little late but an all natural remedy for fleas that works!

Maybe it will come in handy for someone else. I have cats and dogs and birds and kids so I really really hate the chemical route. Mix equal parts of table salt and 100 Mule Team Borax (grocery stores carry it) sprinkle it liberally on the carpet at night and rub it in. I just send the kids running through the house :lol: Just kidding! Most times I just let it sit there overnight and then vacuum it up. Might have to do it a couple of nights. This really gets the little boogers. You can also sprinkle a little borax around your baseboards or under your pets bedding(never works here cause the cat thinks our beds belong to her). Just make sure you get the fleas off the cat or dog too.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use to do this in the Air Force--the pest control thing--I learned the hard way that insecticides are not good for fish--I hope the Colonels wife got over it!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….