• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red slime in reef

Orchid

5 Year Member
I know this is not cichlid related, but I know several of you folks have reefs and maybe, just maybe, you might know the answer to my delimma.

I have been struggling with red slime and hair algae for a year now. I can't figure it out. The tank is a 55 gallon with a 20 gal sump. I have a mass of two types of caulerpa growing in the sump and the light is on all the time to keep it from blooming so much. I also have an Aqua C Urchin protein skimmer and I usually get dark green gunk on a daily basis. I only use RO water, I need to replace its filters, though. I make up the salt water (Instant Ocean) at least a week in advance before I use it for a water change. I have only a few small fish: 1 yellow tail sailfin blenny, a mating pair of bluestripe pipefish, a 3.5 inch yellow carribean tang, a pair of saddle back clowns, 1 zebra cave goby, a scooter dragonet, one cleaner shrimp, one urchin, one brown serpant star, 3 tiger tail cucumbers from small to 7 inches in length, various corals, a few turbo snails and algea hermits. I use a Mag 9.5 to return the water back up to the tank-the stand is 3.5 feet tall. About 86 lbs. of live rock and tons of microcritters, little stars, calcareous featherdusters, and the normal reef critters. The surface is well aggitated. The water flow seems enough, too much will blow the little fish around. I had three times as much fish and coral with way less filtration and no sump in another city and the tank was perfect.

I used antired twice last week and followed the directions exactly, it is a good product and I've had success with it while maintaining other peoples tanks. At first the red slime dimished, today it is comming back with a vengence. I just checked the phosphates with Red Sea PO4 test kit and the levels were between 0 and 0.1, not much has come out of the protein skimmer, either-a first, and the hair algae is also taking over again. I drip kalkwasser. I feed the fish once a day with flake and they have it gobbled up in less than a minute, a few times a week I feed the shrimp, serpant star, and hermits with a few Wardley's shrimp pellets. I've been withholding organic supplements that might further the problem, just sticking to the basics.

I can't figure this out :( , I am doing everthing a reef keeper is supposed to do and still I can't beat this stuff. I've discussed this problem with other experienced reef keepers and none of us can figure this out. I haven't added any new fish, snails, coral or other life for almost a year. If anyone knows of something I might be forgetting, please let me know.

PS: It would be war if I add another tang or blenny to the tank because of the ones that already exist in the tank and I am not willing to break apart the tank in an effort to remove them.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Have you ever tried putting a Poly-filter in ur tank ? This thing just suck up all that is bad: phosphates, heavy metals, etc. It worked real well in my reef tank, saving my bio balance a lot of times and it's pretty cheap to buy.

Red slime usually comes from a lot of organic waste, too much fish for the skimmer size/water change or any imbalance like that, but I guess i'm not saying anything new here :)

Good luck!
Phil

Neil

Orchid,
Well the phos. level would have been my first choice for a culprit, but I think numerous things can cause cyno. Usually it will kind of go away on its own in about a month if all is well with the tank.
Have you checked your pH? I have heard that a low pH might be a possible cause. Kind of a switch from Dwarf Tanks, huh!
How about circulation?
It sounds like you are doing most everything that you should be, but that is the way of the reef tank!
I would increase ciculation in the tank. Do some more regular and larger water changes and manually remove as much of the stuff as you can. If that doesn't start making a difference, then try Red Slime Remover (by Kent I think). I have heard numerous people that have had alot of success (completely gone in 3 days) with it. Reef safe.
Good luck with this annoying problem.
Neil

Moreta

5 Year Member
Hi,
I've had marine and reef tanks for years and know your pain! The only thing I can think of is you mention lights on your system but don't say what kind/type. Improper lighting/old bulbs can really contribute to algae problems. The right spectrum of light can make all the difference in the world!

A really great marine/reefer board forum is
http://reefcentral.com/forums/.

HTH,

Tracy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….